21. TAKING CHANCES

JASON'S POV

I sat up like 'The Undertaker'. "Before I sleep! Huh?"

The well-rested feeling in my bones made my shoulders slump and my eyes narrow.

"I slept, didn't I?" A mutter escaped me.

"What was your first clue?" Blitz quipped. "The beams of sunlight coming through the window, or June's current absence?"

Rolling my eyes, I got up from the couch and began to stretch.

Then I walked to the window and squinted at the sun a bit before looking down at zooming vehicles in the bustling city.

"Argh, I shouldn't have come here." I squeezed my eyes shut.

Turning around, I made my way to the door. "We've got to get back home and finish that analysis."

"You can't wear that same outfit." Blitz practically screamed in my head, making me grind to a halt. "Apart from it being sweaty, people might recognize you on the spot. And my scanners indicate that June's wardrobe might be incompatible with your physique."

"Gee, you think?" I did a facepalm.

"Just order a set of clothes online." Blitz aired my thoughts.

"I'm unsure who came up with that plan between you and me, but I'll roll with it." Creaking the door open, I spotted a familiar man in a black tuxedo dusting a portrait across the hall.

"Mr. Andrews, am I right?" I called out. He turned his head in my direction and arched a brow.

Not one to waste words, I see. "Say, you wouldn't happen to know where June is, would you?"

He pointed an index finger to the ground, a gesture for 'downstairs', before blandly returning to his dusting.

Blitz clamored."Bring out the human motivator!"

"Ah, yes." I dug my hand into my pants pocket and flashed a wad of hundred-dollar bills before clearing my throat.

Andrews' mustache twitched as his eyes lit up. So I wasn't out of his field of vision, after all.

Let's do this again. "Say, do you think you could do me a favor? If you're not busy, that is."

He flung the duster into the air and approached me with gallant strides. "Busy with what? By the way, June's down in the recording booth."

***

At long last, a scooter started decelerating close to the building, with an Amazon package strapped to the back. I watched through the window as the driver rounded the corner of Super Sound Studio.

My delivery had arrived.

In a few minutes, there was a knock on the studio apartment door.

"Coming." I dragged my feet lazily to the door. It seemed sleep tried to overtake me while I waited.

I rubbed my eyes while opening the door. Mr. Andrews stood with a delivery box hefted in front of his chest. "Your order has arrived, Mr. Jason."

"Please," I grinned as I relieved him of the weight. "Call me Jason."

After shutting the door, I set the box down on the couch and opened it.

"Towel, check. Soap, check. Underwear, check. Toothpaste and brush, check. T-shirt, check. Sweat pants, check. Grey hoodie, check. Square lensed glasses, check. Backpack, check."

I sighed with satisfaction before grabbing the silk white towel and heading for the showers. "If only I could order spaceship parts like that."

"Dream on." Blitz scoffed.