Twenty-six

Ana was right. Miles had come back later in the night. No one was behind him, so I figured Reeves and Murl were still somewhere out there. Searching for us.

Since we were in the outer ring of the section, the lights of the skyscrapers weren't blazing down on us directly. The wind tugged at my jacket and filled it with freezing air that caused me to shiver constantly.

Once Miles had arrived, Ana suggested that we relocate somewhere else for the night, out of sight and away from the water. Miles nodded without a word and we got going, Ana and I rising to our feet. I dug in my bag, pulled out the pair of gloves I'd packed and slipped them on. I rubbed my hands together as the three of us walked along.

Ana was in the front, Miles was behind her, and I trailed after them in the back. No one spoke to each other. Normally, Ana would brag to Miles and he would pick on her in return, but none of that happened. It was unusually quiet for the three of us.

We strolled through the streets, passing a couple restaurants where people clapped loudly and cheered. I quickened my pace and found myself next to Miles, noticing how he faced ahead, eyes tired. I didn't know if it was all in my head, but I thought he looked a little sad. After what he'd been through (something I wasn't supposed to know), it'd make sense if he was. I debated on whether I should say anything to him, but before I could, I heard his low voice grumble something incoherently.

"What?" I spoke, sticking my hands in my sweatshirt pockets.

He turned his head then, bored gaze meeting mine. "What do you want?" he responded as we swerved out of the way of some oncoming civilians, then looked at each other again.

"I...I don't know," I answered dumbly.

"You were staring," he pointed out, "at me," he added.

My heart was beating rapidly in my chest. Oh no, how long was I doing that for? I couldn't keep the heat from flickering across my cheeks then, though, there weren't too many bright lights around, so I was hoping he wouldn't notice it. "Oh," I said, tearing my eyes away from him. "I was just wondering..." Then I thought better of it and figured I probably shouldn't bring up what Ana said. "Never mind."

"No, no, what were you going to say?" he pressed, keeping his eyes locked onto mine.

I looked down at my sneakers as I walked. I can't ask you about it. About your dad treating you like a project, I thought. I could still feel his stare, waiting for me to speak up. "I—"

"She was going to say we should be moving faster so we aren't spotted," Ana interrupted impatiently from in front of us. She sped up, disappearing in a group of people.

"Right," I whispered under my breath, striding up to her and following closely.

We crossed the streets and slipped behind a row of tall, steel buildings, into the shadows of the narrow corridor. As far as I could see, no one else was around, yet there wasn't much I could see to begin with.

Miles instantly settled down on the ground, sitting up against the side of a building. That building turned out to be another restaurant which was a bad thing for me since I had begun to long for a 5-course meal. The smell of fried, flipped, grilled, and boiled food of all varieties hit me all at once, causing a growl to erupt from my stomach. Ana widened her eyes at me just as the first beam of moonlight cut into the dark alley.

Crossing my arms to keep my gloved hands warm, I spun around, trying to locate any food anywhere. As gross as it sounded, I'd really eat anything. I scanned over a dead mouse. Eh, maybe not anything, I concluded.