Thirty-seven

Miles' face fell and he watched as I struggled to speak. I didn't know what to feel right now.

I didn't know if I was upset or if I was just too shocked that it made me shake all over. He was the one that had ruined my plan to get into Hale. Of course, it probably hadn't been intentional and it was stupid of me to even try to carry out that idea then, by myself. But there was another side of me, the side that tried to convince me my life would've been a little easier if that tracker was never put on me.

I could have actually gotten away with stealing that device. They hadn't known where I lived or what I'd looked like exactly. That new worker I'd taken the device from had probably recognized me, seeing that I'd apparently stolen cards too. I hadn't done any of that. The officers hadn't even been looking for me that night, they were looking for Miles, for something he had done. I was on the run because of the person sitting beside me.

I could tell Miles had sensed something was wrong because all of the light had left his eyes and he cursed. "Cory, I'm sorry," he told me. He tried to put a hand on my back in order to calm me, but I moved away from him.

"Did you do it on purpose?" I asked meekly, hugging my legs close to me. Rich and Alvin had tried to turn me in, what if Miles had been trying to do the same? What if he had known that I'd stolen something too and he was getting rid of his competition? I stood up then, heading back to the ladder when he hadn't said anything.

I heard Miles quickly get to his feet behind me and he grabbed my wrist, spinning me around so I was facing him. "No, I promise, Cory, I didn't do it on purpose," he said, "well, I guess I did, but I was just putting it on some random person in the crowd. I couldn't have known who you were then," he reasoned.

He was telling the truth. I could hear it in his voice, see it in his eyes. I still ripped my arm from his grip though. He had a point, but I couldn't get over the fact that I might've gotten into Hale if it wasn't for him. I turned around then and rushed back to the rungs of the ladder, climbing down quickly and ignoring Miles calling my name from above me.

I went back inside the abandoned Butterfly Shop in a hurry, finding Reeves already up and packing to head to Hale. Malachi and Murl were watching my every move curiously as I entered and Ana was just starting to stand up, stretching in the early morning light of the city.

Finding my bag, I knelt down and rifled through it, making sure everything was inside it. I then yanked it up and put my arm through the strap.

"What's up with you?" I heard Ana say from behind me. I ignored her and spun around, making my way to the entrance again. Before I could get out though, the door slid open and there was Miles, blocking me so I couldn't leave. I sighed, I guess rather loudly because everyone looked at me, and I spun back around.

"What's going on?" Reeves demanded.

"Nothing," Miles and I both answered.

"Now, that's obviously a lie," Ana grumbled, brown gaze fixed on me.

Reeves gathered up his bag and eyed me. "Well, if it's nothing, we should start heading to Hale. Before the sun comes up," he said as he walked towards the door.

Malachi agreed, Murl followed Reeves with a nod, glancing back at me, and Ana smirked. I kept my head down as I passed Miles, out of the Butterfly Shop and into Barnie Section.

• • •

The group remained hidden in the twists and turns of the alleyways, out of sight of officers and workers and any other potential threats. We didn't take any chances with the metro, figuring it was being scouted everywhere by the officers.

Reeves led us through the neon-lit streets, crossing into another alley so we'd be concealed once again by the shadows of the Barnie buildings. I noticed that the steel skyscrapers of Laurier were growing closer, no longer sitting on the horizon, taunting us.

The sun hadn't risen yet, meaning party-goers from the aquarium were most likely returning home after a long night, covering every inch of the city. At one point, when we had to cross a street swarming with civilians, they just about knocked me off my feet like a rogue wave would, pulling me down against my will.

I was behind all the others, shoving my way through the people tripping over themselves and each other. I saw a woman dressed in a long, white dress stumble drunkenly into Miles. Miles' eyes went wide with surprise before he began redirecting her so she could continue on safely. I passed both of them.

The group stopped for a moment, standing in the shadow of a tall building, after we had fought past the current of oblivious citizens. I could hear their bursts of laughter erupt from back the way we came.

Ana was the first to pipe up. "How much longer?" She looked to Reeves who turned around, examining the magnificent Laurier skyscrapers in the distance. A light fog had settled in, but I could tell right away, the middle building was Hale. There was no mistaking it. The needle on top of it had a red light that blinked eerily in the mist of the morning.

"About an hour left," Reeves estimated.

Ana groaned and put a hand to her head. "Ugh, I have a headache..."

"The drink probably hasn't worn off completely yet," Malachi explained as Ana leaned against the side of the building, trying to ease the pain.

"Does anybody have water?" Murl asked.

Everyone looked to him and unfortunately, we all had the same answer. We had finished up the last of the water and food just before we went to the aquarium. Murl looked like he was going to collapse on the ground.

Reeves' gaze went back to Hale in the distance. "We don't have time for this," he said gruffly. "If we want to get there before the officers start arriving, we have to keep moving."

Malachi agreed and Ana blew a hair from her face as she glared at him. Obviously, she did not feel up to the idea of going right now.

Reeves pointed to me. "You," he ordered, "Malachi, and Miles can go on ahead. I'll babysit these two," he said, earning a dangerous look from Ana. "We'll meet you guys behind the convenience store across from Hale."

Malachi nodded and Reeves sent him off with a strong clap on his back. Malachi started strolling down the alleyway, waving me to follow. "C'mon, Cory," he called over his shoulder. Miles trailed after him and together, they disappeared around the corner and out of sight.

"You better go, Cory," Murl's voice insisted, making me jump from my thoughts. I looked over at him, then nodded slightly. I looked over at Ana and Reeves too and gave them a small wave, whirling around to follow Miles and Malachi.

I saw the anxious expressions on each of their faces. Reeves especially had a look in his gray eyes, one of misery and defeat. I turned around, and just as I was about to round the corner, I made a promise.

"Reeves," I called, getting his attention. The gray-eyed man looked at me. "We'll find his chip," I said. I knew exactly when Reeves' son was on his mind, and this was one of those times.

Reeves dipped his head and I could tell he didn't quite believe my words. But just saying them made the promise seem more true, like it couldn't be broken.

I just hoped I could make a promise to my parents too. That they'd be okay soon enough and Hale would be a pile of dust under my shoes.