twenty-six

Dane

Mackenzie and I spend the weekend studying together in the library. I have a computer science test coming up, and she's nice enough to find her old exams for me so we can review them. I was wondering if Mackenzie was going to find our experience in the pantry, and me sleeping on her floor, awkward, but she seems her normal, focused self.

I've just arrived home when my phone buzzes. I glance at it. It's Henry. Even though I'm exhausted and not in the mood to talk to anyone, except Mackenzie, I pick it up.

"Hey."

"Dane!" Henry sounds excited. "I just wanted to call you to plan next weekend."

"Yeah, excited to have you here, bro." I'm having a hard time getting my tone of voice to match the words that I'm saying.

"I was thinking it would be really nice to meet some more of your friends, besides Noah. Even though we love Noah. What about Amy? I've still never met her."

I'm quiet, because I realize I haven't told Henry that I've broken up with Amy, and also because all of my friends are baseball guys. My team has historically not been the most accepting about gay men, and Henry is bringing his husband Jadyn.

"Amy and I broke up."

Henry is quiet for a long moment. "Oh. But you do have friends outside of baseball, right?" Henry asks, his voice slightly accusing.

"I--" I try to think of what to say. "Well--"

"Dane, come on, man." Henry sighs. "There must be someone."

Mackenzie's name presents itself at the front of my mind. "Well, there's one person, I guess." I feel bad even thinking about asking Mackenzie to take more time out of her busy schedule for me.

"Okay, that would be great. Even to just meet him for a meal?"

"I'll ask her." I say pointedly. "But she's really busy, so don't get too excited."

"I'm already excited." Henry tells me. "I'm going to text you some of my ideas. You sound tired. Go get some sleep."

I follow his advice and fall asleep at 8:30, despite Noah practically begging me to join a 'bonfire with the boys'. I tell him I'm really not up for it, that I have a test tomorrow, and that I didn't bail on the entire party this weekend, so they can't be mad.

My computer science test actually goes well. I'm shocked when I finish it. I text Mackenzie as soon as I'm out.

D: I think I nailed it.

M: Yay! I'm glad!

D: Still want to study together today?

M: Sure

M: See you at our normal time?

D: I'll bring dinner. Sandwiches?

M: Yes, please

I like the routine of studying that Mackenzie and I have fallen into. For once, I'm not behind in any of my classes. My grades are actually improving for the first time since I've started college, and not just in computer science. Being around Mackenzie is good motivation.

On Monday when we meet, Mackenzie looks stressed out of her mind. I set down her food in front of her. "What's wrong?"

"Just roommate drama." She tells me.

"Do tell."

"Kate gave Lea a key a day after Hannah met Lea. Hannah is pissed about it. My other roommate, Penny, isn't even around to join in on the debate. But Kate and Hannah refuse to talk to each other. And because I refused to take a side, Kate isn't talking to me either." Our house is never even locked, but I don't think that would be the helpful thing to tell Mack right now.