sixteen

Mackenzie

I wake up Saturday with a slight hangover, but not as bad as I would expect with how much I drank. Kate is still gone when I make it out of my room and into the kitchen. I can hear Penny moving around in her room, but she doesn't show her face. I briefly wonder how her date was, but am not sure that I care enough to knock on her door and disturb her.

I make myself a quick breakfast and then pack my bag and I'm off to school to start layout of the paper for next weekend's editing, and then finish off some assignments.

My hangover is gone by mid-morning, and the rest of Saturday flies by. Kate still hasn't returned on Saturday evening, or she's returned and left again, so I watch a movie by myself and fall asleep on my floor on accident.

Sunday morning, I wake up to Kate singing in the kitchen. I had managed to sleep the whole night on the floor, after I'd made a makeshift sleeping bag to watch my computer while laying at the foot of my bed.

When I walk into the kitchen, Kate gives me a massive smile. "How are we doing?" I ask her.

"Oh, really good." She tells me with a giggle. I've never seen Kate like this.

"Did you stay at Lea's?"

"Yeah." Kate lets out a dreamy sigh. "It was awesome, Mack."

"I'm glad."

"Lea is--" Kate searches for words as she stirs her eggs. "Amazing. Lea is perfect. I think I'm falling in love with her."

"Well, that was fast." I say, trying not to sound sarcastic, because I really am happy that Kate's happy. I'm just shocked that it's happening so quickly.

"Yeah. Yeah, I wouldn't say that to her face." Kate smiles at me. "We just spent all day together yesterday, just talking and kissing, and it was really fantastic. It felt so natural."

"I'm really happy for you." I say. "Lea seemed really fun."

"Sorry I left you hanging out to dry on Friday."

"It's all good."

"Who walked you home? Was it Dane?" Kate looks intently interested in my life all of the sudden.

"Yes, it was Dane." I say, defeat in my voice as I prepare for the onslaught of questions.

"Cute." Is all Kate says. "I'm going back over to Lea's today. Movie night tonight though."

"You gonna invite her?" I ask.

"Can I?"

"You seem pretty into her. Who are we to tell you no?" I smile and Kate bounces up and down just slightly. I think Lea's mannerisms might be wearing off on her.

"Okay, I'll ask!"

"I'm off to the library to get some studying done for a test this week." I tell her. "I'll see you tonight."

"Have so much fun." She gives me a wry smile and a sarcastic tone of voice, which is much more the Kate that I know and love.

"You too." I wink at her and head out.

I'm halfway to school, having just stopped at the grocery store to obtain snacks for the day, when my phone rings and nearly causes me to jolt my steering wheel and drive off the road. I'm pulling up to a stop sign, so I answer it without looking and put it on speaker, praying it's not Edwin.

"Hello?"

"Mack!" It's Dane. "Are you recovered from your drunkenness?"

I'm mildly embarrassed but I remember everything that happened between us and nothing was really that bad. "I think so."