Chapter 13

"It's a miracle," the doctor exclaimed, "She's cured, through and through."

Delfone stood there, befuddled.

She's only 10 years old, and did what experienced sorcerers and doctors couldn't do. She did it alone too. A quick look through the west wing library just showed years upon years of research.

Bell claimed she was a bright child but this is ridiculous. She is a genius on all accounts and it can be assumed she was like this in the past, just no one allowed her to prove herself.

"Is it true?" Jenova looked at her hands, examining them closely. Although she showed no physical signs of her illness, her eyes were near blind towards the end of it, all she could see was utter blackness. "I'm better?"

"Yes," the doctor confirmed, beginning to pack himself up, "Congratulations my lady."

The servants and knights were dismissed too, allowing Geris and Delfone to also bask the in the celebration. But strangely enough they were dead silent.

"Is something the matter?" Jenova thought they both would be ecstatic, wanting to throw a celebration of sorts, "It's a miracle."

"It was Laraine," Geris corrected, "She lifted your curse a few nights ago."

This caught her by surprise. A child she's tried to completely erase from her memory, save her from the brink of death?

"A-a curse?" Jenova had no idea what to say. She always thought she was just sick.

"According to Laraine's research, she believed it to be the Weeping Death Curse, and she was right. Going so far as to find the right method to release you from your curse." Delfone noted.

This was so much for Jenova to process.

She was always ashamed of Laraine for really no reason. It wasn't anyone's fault for Laraine's affiliation to water, and just hearing how she lifted a curse that not even experts could identify it sounds like she's damn good at magic. Something a parent would be exceptionally proud of.

"I'm a failure as a mother," Jenova muttered, staring blankly into the air, "I'm a failure as mother."

"It's alright," Geris tried to comfort her, about to mention where he fell short as a parent but Jenova was already down the spiral.

"I should've been there for her first words," Jenova's mind was spinning, just remembering all the milestones she experienced with her other two children, one of the missing from everything. The last she remembers really looking at her baby was when she named the poor baby at her Revealing Ceremony. She just said the first thing that came to mind, shellshocked by the fact that she gave birth to the first water-Fortunith. "Laraine."

"She is an exceptional child," Delfone muttered, the guilt was heavy in the room but there wasn't much the three adults could do now that she seemed old enough to be on her old despite being barely in her double digits.

"Where is she now?" Jenova asked, now desperate to at least see her face, "Where is my daughter."

This surprised Geris. Years of hating that child, Jenova was quick to turn it around. Perhaps it was her material instincts finally kicking in for her first daughter.

"She's probably almost at the boarder up north," Delfone muttered.

"What?!" Both of the parents shouted, this was news to both of them. Geris didn't think she would be off on her first adventure so soon, and Jenova wanted to at least say hi to her, maybe dress her like she does her youngest daughter. Perhaps go shopping with her like she does once again with her youngest daughter.

"When will she return?" Jenova asked, about to get up to just run to the west wing but seeing how she hasn't moved in a week she was about to collapse onto the ground if it wasn't for her husband catching her.

"I do not know," Delfone admitted, "But she's well looked after."

That did not comfort Jenova in the slightest, "It's cold up north, water users are vulnerable to the cold."

"Her servants made sure she will be warm," Delfone tried to assure but even he wasn't convinced.

"Oh my god," Jenova wanted to cry, she wanted to run out and chase down her daughter and beg for her forgiveness. But instead she settled for going on a walk towards the west wing when her strength gathered.

It was significantly more baren than the main house, but still as clean. The servants were just as attentive, maybe more so to make up for the fact that she was neglected by everyone else in the household.

She found herself wandering towards where her room was supposed to be, the master bedroom of the west wing, only to find it empty, the bed definitely untouched.

"Wh-what?" Jenova looked to the nearest servant who looked like she was on her way down to the private library. "You, where does Laraine sleep?"

"Oh!" The servant was quick to answer, "I'm heading there now, if you'd like me to lead my lady."

"Yes."

The servant lead her to the guest bedroom that was near the private study. The servant dismissed herself into the study to clean it.

Opening the door slowly, Jenova didn't know what she was expecting but this certainly wasn't it.

The bed was definitely touched, but the room was still barren. Not a single plush toy or doll in sight. In Delphonia's room, the floor was littered in toys and dresses.

Just thinking about it, Jenova rushed to the closet, opening it to out of style dresses of probably the wrong sizes. It was jarring to see a daughter of such high prestige have such a sad closet.

Taking one look at it, the closet seemed more suited for her son rather than her daughter. Filled with tunics and trousers and various combat-ready shoes. The only pair of dress shoes looked too small for a child of her size.

Jenova now really wanted to cry, but it was such a trifling thing to cry about. Dresses and shoes.

But all she could think about was those fun shopping trips she had with her mother when she was a child. Endlessly pouring over various outfits for different occasions. It was a way for her to feel all grown up in her little body. She tried to do it with Delphonia, but she is still a bit too young to enjoy hours of shopping or to sit still for tea.

Suddenly a maid walked into the room, carrying what looks like a dress. 

"You there, what's your name?" Jenova doesn't recognize this woman, but she was relatively young for a maid. 

"R-rebecca my lady," the maid bowed, her hands shaking from under the dress. Not from fear but from anger. Just one day Lady Loraine is gone and Lady Jenova thinks she can just waltz in here. Who does she think she is? Her mother? 

Oh. 

"Is that her dress?" Jenova pointed, going over to take the dress, only to realize it's a nightgown. A singed nightgown, "What happened to this dress?" 

"Uh my lady wore it," Rebecca cleared her throat mumbling out incoherent. 

"What? Speak up!" 

"Uh, my lady wore this nightgown the night she visited you." 

Jenova's stomach dropped at that news. 

It was a private meeting for Laraine to say goodbye to her mother, so there was only one person who could cause these burns. 

"I did that?"