5◎

The Crescent moon shone brightly between twinkling stars in the dark deep black sky. The elliptical leaves of the tree rustled in the zephyr, that stood tall and strong in front of their balcony. The streets are silent and shut, and one can hear the tickling sound of the clock. Sitting against the headboard, contemplating the demilune shape of the moon, she's lost in her world. Consumed by thoughts, slowly sleep engulfed her, taking her sense away from all the anxious feelings.

Time passed and the sun peeked between the mountains of the East, sprawling its orange hues across the globe, gradually covering the darkness of the sky. The chirping of birds is audible, few are flying high flapping their wings.

Her precious sleep got disturbed due by the movement on the bed. She leisurely opened her eyes and look beside her. He's trying to sit putting his all weight on his left arm, which causes him pain in an oblique cut. She moves to help but he ignores her.

''Alam!" He shouted, within a second his caretaker stood in front of him, bowing his head. "Jee Sahab!" he asked.

"Madad karo aur Shayan uthe toh ussey bhejna." He ordered him. Alam did what he asked to do and took his leave.

"Aap ko kuch chaiye? Mujhe bataye, mein la deti hun?" She said in concern. He didn't respond to her and relaxing his head on the headboard he closed his eyes. She stood a few minutes, waiting for his reply but he doesn't utter a single word.

Rejection forced and unwanted. Getting a taste of her own medicine, she felt a pang mushroom inside her. So close yet so far. This is the very first time, she's close to him, but he, neither touched her nor talks to her.

Her palms are painted in hena, along with her fingertips just a small circle in the center. Her Mehandi doesn't look like a bridal design. She started her hands and exhale deeply, accepting everything. Everything that fate holds for her.

He had returned a fortnight ago, injured badly in his right limbs, a bullet in tensor fasciae latae, multiple cuts on his arms, and a deep cut on his external oblique. His forehead was also covered in gauze and two days ago her rukhsati done. His parents wanted rukhsati. He didn't say a word regarding this matter. She wore a carmine red gown, which also her tayi ammi selected. She clearly remembers, how often he mentioned that he'd buy her rukhsati dress but that day he didn't even spare her a glance.

"Bhai!"Shayan's voice came.

"Ajao." He called him inside. He knew his duty. Making him a seat in the wheelchair, he took him to the restroom to freshen up.

Clad in a simple white Jora, she came to the living hall. His mother is feeding him. They'll are pampering him like a baby. Well, he does sleep like one.

"Aao Aakifah, betho." Her tayi ammi said passing her a smile "Dekho issey, dou niwala chakta hai aur iska pait bhar gaya" His mother complain. She has lost her smile after getting the news of his accident.

Sitting next to his mother, she secretly took his glimpse, noticing his mood. Gush! She still remembers the Adrenaline rush when got back home after an accident. She doesn't dare to face him.

+++

His plaster got removed, Doctor advised him to have complete bed rest for more few days but didn't pay any heed. He limbed heavily as he moved but he still does it.

He entered his bedroom and a floral fragrance mixed with vanilla welcomed him. Candles are blowing up which has changed the atmosphere completely. Her likes for candles, he huffed in annoyance.

She instantly stand on her feet seeing him, He limped inside and sat on the bed. He bend to untie his shoelaces but whimpered badly, she sat in front of him immediately to untie them. He straighten up and huffed in irritation. He unbuttoned his shirt and easily removed it from the left arm and again whimper escaped when tried to discard it from the right arm. She extends her hand to hold his arm but he jerks her "Aukat mei raho apni." He spat angrily. Tears gathered in her eyes and she meekly reply "I'm just trying to help you."

"Did I ask for help?" Standing up he bellowed, making her shudder.

"Nhi...lekin" She tried to justify her action but found herself lost for words. He looked at her in pure disgust and passed by her.

"Suney!!" She called him hesitantly scared of his anger.

"Shahzaib, Khana tou khale, dawai bhi leni hai aapney." She tried again. She went out to bring food for them but when she came, she found him asleep.

"Mujhey bhook nhi hai." He spoke in resonance.

"Aapp mera gussa khane pey kyun nikal rahe hai." The concern is clearly shown.

"Band karo apna drama aur sone dou mujhe." He speaks in irritation. Her countenance changed from concern to hurt, she isn't doing any drama and pretending to be a good wife. She's genuinely sorry for her actions and trying to apologize. First, he ignores her completely and now he only speaks a few words too rudely. She isn't used if this kind of tone and treatment.

She holds his wrist and speak " aapp ki tabiyat theek nhi hai, aapp ko dawai bhi leni hai. A lone tear escaped.

"Tumko kab sey itni fikr hone lagi, woh bhi Ekk molester ki ?" Sarcasm is dripping in his every word. "My dexterity with a gun, scared you, I'm twelve years older than you, I molested you....blah blah blah, itney sab kay baad haa kyun kha rukhsati kay liye, abb akele mere saath mere room hou, ab darr nhi lagra." He yelled. Tears flowed like rivers, making her take hiccups. "Chali jao yeha sey."

She looked at him in disbelief, where'd she go, even if she go to her parent's house what'd she say "Mei kaha jau?"

"Jahannum mei jao." He walked out of the room. She cried, holding her legs close to her chest, she cried. She wants old Shahzaib back, who used to care for her but she is the one who always pushed him. Called him names, bad mouthed him. Contrition hitting her hard.

+++

How was it?

Don't forget to follow me.🤭

🏃‍♀️🏃‍♀️