Showtime at The Apollo

Chapter 3

Todd and Isis walked into the famous Apollo Theater in New Yorks Harlem for the second time.

Todd was escorted to the back with the other rappers. They each had three minutes to come on stage and spit the rhyme of a lifetime. It had to be tight and enough to get him to the final level of a one on one competition. He sat mumbling his rhyme nervously. Then the time came he would rap battle Chain who had advantage because he was from Harlem and was a well known street battle rapper.

Ok you boys know how it works Tut you choose who goes first. He can. Isis was happy he let chain go first. The music cued.

Look at this kid up walkin the streets of Harlem dragged by my dogs where I found him. Don't he know chain rules these streets wrecking all hard beats? They call him tut don't he know dat king buried in da sand?  Look here kid go join ya man dead dust and bones just like ya rap career boom be gone! The crowd went wild.

Tut you ready? Yeah. The beat cued.

They call him chain but they got you bound by this so called dead king kneel before me now. I came to Harlem to snatch ya crown they said you could street battle I don't see how. Ya rap is weak, ya rhyme played out I'll let the street tell ya that now. When word gets out you loss to a kid call them dogs you'll need they protection after what you think you did. I rode da A train ta battle a god dis nigga ain't even hard.

The crowd went wild for both rappers. Isis covered her ears it was so loud. She smiled at the love Todd received but she was still nervous inside he could be beaten by a margin she thought. She basked in the moment staring at Todd on stage in her eyes he was born to be on that stage front and center for the world to see. In her eyes he was a star already. In her eyes he was her shining star. Todd looked at Isis smiling she clapped nodding her head yes making him smile back at her approval to win against a rapper as strong as chain was. Not only did he gave to rap better but he was on his turf and had to win against bias people from his community.

Whatever way it turned out Todd vowed he wouldn't stop trying because the loving look in the eyes of Isis told him not to. For him that was enough for him to go on.