xv.

15 | ARE YOU ALRIGHT, LOVE?

Cassie appeared beside Elias just in time to kick the hellhound aside which would've no doubt managed to catch him off guard, thrusting her sword straight into the creature, exploding it into golden dust.

"Duck," she ordered.

Elias did what he was told as Cassie threw her blade towards another hellhound that tried to sneakily advance towards them, lodging itself into one of its legs, making it growl in agony but didn't kill it.

The younger Hunter took this chance and leapt at the monster, bringing his blade on it, soon adding more piles of golden dust on the ground. He turned to Cassie, only for the two to get startled by a roar.

They caught sight of an eight foot tall cyclops, wielding a huge club in his hand. His attention was on the raven-haired archer that tried to shoot it with arrows but it was proving to be useless as it knocked her bow aside with ease.

Elias's eyes widened as the cyclops brought down his club on Kate, speeding over to her in a blink of an eye, wrapping his arms protectively around her and pulling her away at the last second.

Kate tilted her head up in his protective embrace, and Elias almost forgot to breathe in that moment when her striking blue eyes met her mystic golden ones again for the second time during the night.

He was once again too lost in the calmness of those eyes of hers, bright like the blue of every dancing sky, holding emotions that fathomed deep, yet carried the warmth and comfort of the sunlit surface.

"Are you alright, love?" He whispered worriedly while Kate was almost too stunned to speak, internally panicking, his calm voice angelic to her ears.

"Yeah," she breathed out, quickly straightening up and making some space between the two.

While those two were busy having their little moment with Elias protecting Kate from the rest of the monsters that tried to attack him, Cassie was busy fighting off the cyclops, drawing him away from the two and slamming her shoulder into the monster, sending him stumbling backwards and falling onto a table.

She tried to end the fight quickly by levelling a horizontal strike at the cyclops' neck, but he was quick to throw up his club to meet her swing.

Put off balance by the block, she was not prepared for the cyclops's free hand as he slammed it into her abdomen, sending her flying back through a bunch of tables.

Cassie rolled on her back with a groan, slightly dazed from the blow. The cyclops towered over the tri-blood, raising his club and roared as he brought it down. She rolled out of the way quickly, catching sight of her blade lying metres away from her grasp.

She lunged for it, grabbing it swiftly before running it straight through one of the cyclops's ankles, severing the foot. He roared in agony as his club dropped to the ground, creating a crack in the floor.

Before he had the time to react, Cassie drove her blade through the chest of the cyclops, watching in satisfaction as the monster exploded into a golden pile of dust, joining the rest of the pile on the ground.

Patting the dust off her clothes, she tilted her head to find a dark-brown haired woman staring at her warily. Red wisps of magic danced across her fingertips as took a defensive stance.

"What the hell is going on?" She demanded, thick European accent evident in her tone, and confusion etched across her face from all the chaos around them.

"It's complicated," Cassie sighed, an exhausted look in her eyes. "Leave all of this to us. You mortal heroes need to leave this place before you get hurt."

Before the witch avenger had the chance to reply, Cassie caught sight of a demon appearing out of the shadows behind Wanda. The tri-blood's eyes widened. Demons and monsters had never appeared in the same area.

They never mixed ... until now it seemed.

Cassie broke out of her surprise and lunged protectively in front of Wanda, driving her blade into its chest as it disintegrated into a small cloud of dust. Just as she turned around to tell Wanda to get to safety, more demons appeared out of the shadows, swarming around them, many in the form of humans.

"Of course I can't get a break," Cassie grumbled, swirling her sword in loops as she got into an attacking stance, casting a quick glance behind her shoulder at Wanda who stared at the demons with wide-eyes. "Stay behind me."

Cassie turned her attention back at the demons, tightening her hold on Raziel. The demons attacked the tri-blood with a flurry of thrusts but she was quick, never standing in one place for too long for the demons to land a strike, disintegrating any that came her way.

Until one of the demons caught her off guard, charging straight into her with great force, sending her crashing painfully through more broken furniture lying around them. She tried to recover quickly, but he landed a powerful punch to her face before grabbing her and threw her roughly across the room once again.

A painful groan escaped Cassie's lips as her ears rang terribly, blood seeping from the side of her forehead. Drawing a deep, pained breath, she lifted herself with another grunt, gaining back some of her bearings as she got to her knees.

Her hazel-gold eyes soon trained on the demon who made his way towards her.

"Samael will be pleased when I'll bring you to him," he hissed, his red eyes gleaming with smugness.

Before Cassie had the chance to fully comprehend his words, he plunged a dagger through her heart.