xviii.

18 | THE GREAT PROPHECY

Elias leaned against the kitchen counter, arms crossed with an impassive look plastered across his face as he waited expectantly for Rachel Dare, the Oracle of Delphi, alongside Percy, Cassie and Annabeth.

Rachel had urgently contacted them the next day after the disastrous party, feeling compelled to meet up with them. And while it would be nice to see her again, Elias and Cassie both felt a sense of dread as they awaited.

She soon arrived, bearing gifts for the young Jacksons, who eagerly and happily took them from her before running off into their rooms in a hurry to open them, leaving the adults alone together as they exchanged wholesome greetings.

"I wish we could've gotten together under better circumstances but ..."

And that's when what they all feared to happen, occurred.

Rachel stopped mid-sentence, and the four demigods could see that her eyes were glowing, and green mist was following her. The redhead stopped and slowly turned to the twins, seemingly expectant.

They all immediately understood. The Spirit of Delphi was waiting for a question, though they all knew that for the Oracle to seek them out, it had to be bad.

"What is coming?" Cassie finally asked tiredly.

Rachel's mouth opened, and green mist poured out of her. The voice of the Delphi then spoke:

Rough seas ahead, you must stand tall,
For heroes to triumph and darkness to fall.
Only the sea god's daughter and sons,
Can unite Earth and our Pantheons.
Together with those who would seek to avenge,
They must defeat the Pit, lest it takes its revenge.
Alone, the demons' strength, the tri-bloods must withstand,
And end the betrayed archangel's control by their hand.
But beware, for the Veil has already been torn,
And fear may destroy those who are mortal-born.

Rachel collapsed into Percy's arms as the prophecy finished and the mist dissipated while they all stared at her in shock.

"Another Great Prophecy," Annabeth whispered.

The three siblings let out audible groans. "Not again."

Stupid great prophecies. Stupid old grandmas.

Cassie let out a defeated sigh and sat on the couch, her fist clenched tightly. The words of the prophecy were swirling around in her head like the Oracle's green mist. Her nails dug painfully in her palm, drawing blood but she didn't care.

She was so fed up with being a pawn for the Fates to play with. Why did they always have to get dragged into every single one of the prophecies? She was tired and sick of it all. Of everything.

She felt the familiar presence of her twin taking a seat next to her, placing a reassuring arm around her and bringing her closer to him for comfort. Her body relaxed and leaned into his comfort, letting out another exhausted sigh.

They both tried to remain strong, but they were at their limit.

Rachel groaned, turning to face the four, realisation lighting up in her eyes upon noticing their grim expressions. It wasn't just any prophecy she recited this time. She had recited the next Great Prophecy, and they all were dragged into it once again.

"I'm sorry," Rachel said guiltily, breaking the tense silence.

"It's not your fault," Percy reassured, yet his eyes didn't quite match his expression.

They all were too busy trying to accept the Prophecy that had just been recited. There was a glint in Annabeth's eyes that showed that a million gears were running at once in her mind.

"They must defeat the Pit, lest it takes its revenge," Annabeth recited. "The Pit ... It's Tartarus, isn't it? He's causing the Mist to fail. He's after us, ever since we closed the Doors of Death."

"Yes," Elias agreed. "And he's working with the betrayed archangel ..."

The younger Hunter closed his eyes, letting out an exhausted sigh, knowing exactly who it was.

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Who's that?"

"Samael," Elias replied, distaste evident in his tone. "The Prince of Demons, one of the most powerful archangels in existence. He loathed Cassie and I for the abomination we were, the only tri-bloods to ever exist, a being mixed with godly and angelic blood, and not disintegrating from the sheer power."

He paused for a moment, his sea-golden eyes turning dull as he recalled his past memories. "We fought against him for decades. He sent everything after us, giving us no choice except to surrender to him. We did everything we could to survive, but it almost wasn't enough."

Elias fiddled with his ring that resided on his left hand, and Percy and Annabeth caught sight of this action. It was something he always did when he was either tense or anxious.

He sighed before continuing, casting a quick glance towards Cassie, who was eerily silent, a far away look in her eyes. "But Cassie managed to kill him, staking him through the heart. There were no mentions of him at all for centuries, and we presumed he was truly gone. But that doesn't seem to be the case now ... And now he's working with Tartarus."

Elias could only imagine the carnage that would follow.

Cassie stood up silently, grabbing her coat from the rack before heading out the door without a word while Elias watched her, choosing not to go after her, knowing she needed some time alone.

It wasn't a happy subject for both of them.