~2~

"Okay, I would try to fix it in the midst of my schedule." I wrote it down in my notepad and he read it. He nodded his head and walked away but not after casting a few glances at the customers.
I sighed. This was going to be tougher than I thought. He said he got a good business catering deal and he has chosen me and some other workers to come with him. I wonder what type of event this was that he wanted someone dumb like me to come to. I went back to serving the rest of the customers.
After I was done, I sat back and brought out my phone. Scrolling through the numerous message requests, I clicked on Janet's, my room mate's number. She was still yet to send me the message if she was back from work or not. Shaking my head, I turned off my phone and dropped it on the counter before me.
Just as if on cue, a beep sounded on my phone and I glanced at it. She messaged already.
'Hey, I'm back and resting. Come home early tomorrow, we are having a bestie's day out.' She sent and I snorted before replying.
'Seems you got your advance pay.'
She has been talking about how she would get her advance pay and tender her resignation letter. Her boss was sort of some crazy dude who did not allow her have peace of mind. Guess it worked out for her. I shook my head as a chuckle bubbled in my chest.
Her reply came,
'Huh🙄, What if it worked out? Anyways, I got it and I want to spoil you tomorrow. Come early so that you can prepare that soup you always use to get me to give you anything you want. Okay?'
Soup? The one I and the rest of the pack omegas were always forced to prepare back at the pack. I wonder how they would be faring. How many years has it been? Just a year and so much has changed. I wonder if they would still be at the pack and with that gamma. Okay, okay, enough of the depressing thoughts.
I shook my head as Janet's messaged beeped again.
'You're still there?'
"Yes, sure. I will try to get off work early. Wait for me.' I sent my reply and she sent back smiling emoji.
I shook my head and settled down.
••••
It was almost 6:30 in the morning when Raph came by with his signature smile that proved that he had one of the best night of his life. He greeted me while I just waved at him. After  spending the entire night and midnight serving drunkards and those who would not try to get rid of their alcohol addiction (which I will say is benefitting me), I finally signed off work and exited the place. The sun was yet to set and I knew how to make my way.
I hailed at a cab and it drove straight past me. An hiss threatened to rip through my tongue but I shove it down. That was how they do, rush through the early morning hours to meet rich customers who are working for higher firms.
Janet had said that I should come home early and I personally need to catch some rest.
I signaled at one again and this time, he seemed to consider my state as the driver stopped before me and I stepped into it.
"Where to?"
I gave him the address of the apartment we rented I had written in my note pad. He gave a nod and ignited the car's engine.
The drive to the apartment was just seven minutes and I had no issues going home by such time. Why do I need to be scared when I am fear itself in the dark?
We finally arrived at the junction and I gave him his pay before stepping out of the cab. He drove off and I proceeded to our apartment.
Knocking twice and yet there was no response. There was lights out everywhere. I don't know why Jane is yet to wake or even answer the door.
"Janet." I whispered in my head, through the window, not wanting to wake up our nagging neighbors.
Still there was no response, I picked my phone and dialed  her number. It was switched off. Okay, this is girl is definitely going to get it from me.
To add to the worst, I was not with my key.
Ugh!
I attempted to knock again and just behind me, a shadow of someone tall in height made me whirled around. My heart beat accelerated but my face remained blank.
Justin's lips pulled a small apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. I was on my way out." He said and I gave him a curt nod. Justin lives just adjacent to our apartment and I think he works for the government because the time which he leaves the house for work is really commendable.
He knew I was dumb so all he did was give me a slow nod before walking out.
I turned back to the door again and searched around the window. If Jane and I were unable to decide who will come home first, we hide the key just below the small flower pot which Jane despite my effort to tell her that it was weird for us to do put it, had wanted to use to decorate the place. But then the key was not there too.
Jane was definitely going to get more than it from me.
I raised my hand to knock again when my ears twitched at something falling inside. I moved closer to the door instinctively and just like the door knob twisted and I came face to face with a... demon.
A scream rose up in my throat but only a light, soft puff of shriek escaped my parted lips and I almost stumbled in fear as the demon also screamed loud, probably scared too. I took in the appearance of the demon who looked so much like my best friend and I knew I was done for.