13: Afloat

Winter

Annabeth informed us that we were staying here for the night, and now it was morning.

We were on Argo II, afloat on the sea. Honestly, I doubted if Annabeth knew the closest entrance to the underworld.

"Something bothering you, Winter?" Spring asked, laying down next to me.

"Just worried." I shrugged, not wanting to stress Spring out. She nodded.

"Prophecy?"

"Mhm," I hummed a reply, closing my eyes. She hugged me, still laying down next to me.

"It doesn't say anyone will die." she suggested, shrugging off the thought. "The last line has endless meanings."

"That doesn't help." I laughed, sitting up.

"At least we have most of the gods on our side. Most didn't betray us. Zeus, Hera, Hermes, Athena. Pretty much everyone except Aphrodite, Poseidon, Pluto, and, Hephaestus. I don't think they even realized what happened because of the absence from the ancient laws."

"Clearly didn't stop our parents," I grumbled, fidgeting with Riptide. She shrugged.

"You may be the primordial of grudges, but you shouldn't keep one. You were always aware of what your part was to the gods. If the parents of the seasons didn't care, why should you? You're hurting yourself by keeping a grudge." she sighed, breathing in a long breath.

I nodded, realizing her point of view. Perhaps she was right. "Doesn't mean I like it."

"No one's asking for you to like it." she replied, smiling. She released me from her hug, standing up. "I think we should move."

I nodded, pulling a sweater over my head, no longer wearing a cloak. "Sure."

We went down to where Drew, Annabeth, and James would be. I walked in and cleared my throat, as Annabeth and James jumped apart from their heated make out.

"We're ready to go." I said coldly, a pang of pain vibrating in my chest. Annabeth's blushing and eying me did not go unnoticed.

"O-of c-course!" Annabeth stuttered, standing up clumsily. I smiled a little, amused at her clumsiness. "We'll be right by the entrance in a few hours."

I nodded, taking Spring's hand, and dragged her to the wheel.

"Well, they're enjoying themselves." Spring grumbled. "I wish the rest of the seasons were here."

I nodded in agreement. "They're made immortal, right? So technically speaking, they don't need as much rest."

Spring nodded, "then why did we take the time for the night? Drew said she was, too, immortal."

I shrugged, not thinking much of it. "Resting before going to the underworld seems like a fair move." I defended.

"Except none of us even fought that day." Spring pointed out. "I'll go make breakfast. See ya!"

She waved her hand enthusiastically. I smiled at the familiarity. I steered the boat to where Annabeth had marked the map, humming in peace, when a knock on the door broke my thoughts.

"Come in!"

"Hello, Percy." James sneered, walking in. I turned around, turning the wheel to autopilot for a small while. Summer had said that autopilot would need a little fixing, for it cannot be relied on after a long time of being unused.

"It's Winter, remember?" I replied, annoyed at the disturbance.

"Don't play innocent. I know you're going for Annabeth. You're playing unfairly." James growled, taking out a dagger.

"Absolutely not!" I defended, amused at the unfolding chaos. "She made her choice, I made mine."

He knew I was talking about her cheating on me with him, and the both of them torturing me. He growled in annoyance.

"Doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want, Perseus." he stated. "I am the leader here. Not you."

"I didn't see you being so enthusiastic about the quest back at camp?" I smiled a little, looking back at the window.

"I see how she looks at you. I see how you got a blessing to look better." he growled again, pointing at me. I grinned.

"Why, thank you!" I replied cheerfully. "Chaos didn't tell me he'd change my physicality! Though, really, I'm not complaining."

"You little—" James started, looking like he wanted to lunge at me.

"What on earth is your problem with me? I didn't do anything to you! You took everything away from me—my girlfriend, friends, family, camp—banish me, torture me, then have the nerve to call me out for being unfair? I took the leadership of this quest in order for everyone to stay on task. If you didn't want to go, then you shouldn't have gone." I stated, annoyed.

"Then you would try getting my little toy, Annabeth, away from me!" he exclaimed, angrily.

"That's your excuse? You wanted my girlfriend to yourself?" I laughed humorlessly. "And now you want everything I rebuilt."

"I deserve to have that name. I deserve to have all those girls swooning over me." he growled enviously, "You don't deserve it!"

I scoffed. "I didn't ask for it. I got it because of the work I did. Being a primordial with the only loyal friends I have—you'll not take it away from me. Get out of my sight." I growled, angrily.

He sheathed out his second dagger, almost ready to attack me.

"I said...get out!" I shouted, as he jumped away, fearfully. He scurried out of the room, just as Spring walked in.

"Well deserved~" he laughed melodiously. "next time do it sooner!"

"You bet I will!" I laughed, high-fiving her. I stared at the map for a second, before announcing the news. "We've arrived."