Studying

"dans quelle mesure est-il une marche pour se rendre à l'école?" My French teacher asks.

"un court trajet en bus" I reply quickly but my mind is on other things. Like Fin Harrow.

"Tres bien!" The teacher yells before moving onto someone else.

Fin Frickin' Harrow is going to be at my house. Mine! Soon this lesson is over and then so are the rest of them. Fin winks at me everytime he sees me and if anyone sees this subltle exchange,l they gaze at me with wide eyes becuase who makes eyes with the smart girl. Rubbing against him, being loud around him but Fin just rolls his eyes slowly.

When the final bell goes I practicly run to the bus and make sure I get a seat, which I do right in the middle, by the window.

A tall collage student comes and sits next to me. This is a relief. Zoe will never pick on my when there is someone more intimidating around.

I pull out my phone from my bag and fish out a pair of head phones before turning on Young Volcanos by Fall Out Boy.

Although she wouldn't dare talk to me, Zoe shoots dirty looks at me whenever I so much as cross my legs.

When she gets of the bus, I relax. And start to people watch. The only interesting things on this particular day is a two people who seam to be welded together at the lips and a year eight girl who keeps trying to flirt, unsuccessfully might I add, with a year nine boy.

Finally, the bus reaches my stop and I get off,walking quickly to my own house.

"Hey mum!" I call, slaming the door shut behind me.

"Hey sweetie!" She yells. "I'm in the kitchen"

I walk into the kitchen, grab my self a drink and lean on the counter.

"Miss Fleck wants me to touter this boy in science" I say in an offhand sort of way.

"So he's coming over tonight?" Mum asks.

My mum nods. This is what I love about her, she doesn't care. Ever since the accident, we have always been there for one another. "No one else will, my darling" my mum always use to tell me when it first happened. "That's why we need to be extra strong. Just the two of us. Together we can take over the world!"

The end always used to make me laugh but two years on, it's lost it's humour.

"Do you want me to help you choose what to wear?" She asks.

"I was going to call Gwen but you can have he final say."

Mum nods and reaches into the oven to pull out a tin of freshly baked cup cakes.

I reach for one then go and call Gwen.

"He's coming round?! Tonight?!"

I giggle "yeah, tonight. You need to help me choose what to wear!"

"On my bloody way!" Gwen shouts down the receiver and then the line goes dead.

I smile at my best friend antics and put the phone on the charger.

A few minutes later, the door bell rings.

Gwen is standing there, grinning like an idiot, phone clutched in one long nailed hand.

"Right he comes at six, did you say?"

I nod.

"two hours. Fuck" Gwen barges past me and runs up the stairs to my room. Sid grabs the wardrobe door and flings it open after what seams like hours of her mixing and matching various comber nations of clothes on me, her life sized Barbie doll. She settles on a mustard yellow knitted jumper, acid washed jeans and a black scarf.