2.13

In Lu Hao's office, what Ji Ling reported to him was this:

The triad group competing with the SG for F City had been infiltrated by an unknown third party. This third party was using the triad to conduct dangerous research on harnessing the power of zombies. Ji Ling suspected they tried to make obedient super-zombies as weapons, but failed. Ji Ling went to meet one of the suspected members of the unknown third party at the underground base. She had plans to investigate the area, but upon meeting Hong Sheng and Yu Qiu, changed her plans to retreat and find Lu Hao.

Through talking with her, Lu Hao confirmed that the strange zombie he'd seen was related to this group. He might not have been a full zombie. He could have been an experiment, or even the researcher.

"So this is the reason behind the rise in the zombie population? These experiments?"

"Yes. I believe so. My contact said there was data he could use in the underground base... if we can recover the information there, we'll be able to figure out a little more. But..."

Leaning against the office window, Lu Hao asked, "How did you explain to him SG members coming to you for help?"

"It's as you think."

Being an undercover agent was a lot of risk. And when you were caught, there was only one way to convince everyone you were still loyal to their side. "So," he said slowly. "You're a triple agent now?"

Ji Ling nodded at Lu Hao. There wasn't a single trace of apprehension in her eyes. The light from the window spilled over her with an angelic halo, and in her gaze was complete and utter faith in Lu Hao and in the SG.

Lu Hao closed his eyes.

Ji Ling had been with the SG for years. She'd never given him reason to doubt her before.

In this tumultuous world, the difference between survival and death lay in whether you could trust the people around you or not.

So Lu Hao quirked the side of his mouth, burying the conflict he felt to a place Ji Ling wouldn't see, and opened his eyes again. He looked at her calmly and said, "We need to return to that underground base. Get ready in fifteen minutes."

"Yes, sir."

The SG base buzzed with activity.

A solemn and serious air filled the base. Everyone now knew that other factions were teaming up and conducting dangerous experiments that lead to the creation of deadlier zombies. The SG prepared for war, and readied to accept more refugees.

The records in the underground base had all been destroyed by the time Lu Hao had gotten there. Luckily—or perhaps, 'coincidentally'—Ji Ling had managed to find clues of the existence of other secret bases.

To Lu Hao, these deadly experiments had to be stopped by any means: humanity couldn't afford to create new zombies. It was only the creation of a vaccine that could help humanity survive.

Specialized SG teams comprised of powerful humans and ability users returned to the base. Lu Hao informed them of the new mission priority: find out where these experiments were being conducted, and who was behind them.

Lu Hao left with them.

Thus, he didn't know that while he was away, Hong Sheng faced off against Ji Ling's influence.

Water splashed on Hong Sheng's face. The survivors had shoved him to the ground, and his entire body was covered in mud. His bruises and wounds stung as the dirt rubbed against them.