3.12

The car furiously drove through the streets, and not a single obstacle was spared on the path. The car streaked ahead with a surge of lightning tearing apart anything that came in front of it. Zombies, fallen buildings, abandoned vehicles—all of it became dust.

By the time Lu Hao arrived back at the SG and tore his way to Hong Sheng, what he saw was this:

A serrated knife tracing a red line on Hong Sheng's neck.

And Ji Ling just standing there, gun in her hand. Letting Hong Sheng die.

A crackling noise erupted in the room. Static electricity permeated the air. The papers nearly floated off the floor, and the hair on everyone's bodies lifted in a fascinating and eerie display.

And with a thunderous sound, lightning boomed through the room.

The man threatening Hong Sheng, and the hands he used to hold up Hong Sheng and use the knife on him, separated into two.

The lightning tore straight through his forearms and wrists, leaving a charred, gaping hole in the air between the man and Hong Sheng's body.

For a split second, no one knew how to react. The two hands of the man fell limply to the floor with nothing to support them. When the pain and horror of losing his arms finally registered in the man's mind, he opened his mouth to scream—but Lu Hao had walked over, standing in front of Hong Sheng.

Lu Hao turned his face to the man. The pure white, blazing eyes of lightning glanced at the man just once.

Hundreds of thousands of volts of electricity coursed through the man's body. He spasmed, body violently jerking as he collapsed. He didn't die immediately, but laid there suffering for an entire minute before his body finally gave out.

No one cared about him. Lu Hao only had mind for Hong Sheng, who was bleeding all over his face and neck. He quickly tore apart strips of his shirt to staunch Hong Sheng's bleeding and said, "Hong Sheng—don't worry. I'm here. We'll go to a doctor. You'll be okay." Only the slightest trembling of his fingers as he pressed the cloth to Hong Sheng's neck betrayed the panic running through him.

Hong Sheng's dark eyes were half-lidded, his gaze lowered to the ground. He wouldn't look at Lu Hao. He was so unresponsive. He must have been terrified. Lu Hao hushed and comforted Hong Sheng with soothing noises, and carefully took Hong Sheng's hand. He wanted to guide Hong Sheng to put pressure on his own wound so that Lu Hao could carry him over to the medical wing.

But Hong Sheng resisted, and slipped his hand out of Lu Hao's.

Lu Hao was stunned by his resistance, and didn't react for a second.

"L-Lu Hao..."

A meek yet fervent voice sounded behind him. Disgust and hatred welled up in Lu Hao. He took a breath. All that kept him from cleaving Ji Ling to pieces was the worry that Hong Sheng would be even more disturbed.

Once he was sure he could control himself, he turned to glare at Ji Ling. Traces of white lightning coursed around his eyes.

"You were going to let him die."

Pure, hot rage condensed in each word.

Whatever Ji Ling thought she was going to say, the words stuck in her throat. She opened her mouth stupidly, but nothing came out.

But once Lu Hao looked over at her, he noticed the photos and documents scattered on the floor.

Fuck.

The intruder had dug out the private detective's records on Ji Ling. No wonder they were acting strange.

Whatever misunderstanding was in these two's heads, Lu Hao didn't have the patience to correct it here. He coldly told Ji Ling, "Get out." And as a warning, sent a piece of lightning crackling at her feet.