2.2

An armored jeep rumbled across the rough roads. Empty fields and hills gradually transitioned to the broken wrecks of cars and trucks. Finally, the cityscape of F City loomed in the horizon.

"I see them," the driver said, his deep and slow voice like gravel. The man's deep-set eyes gazed into the far distance, even further than Lu Hao's eyes could see.

"Look safe?" Lu Hao asked. The man driving beside him nodded. "Good. Let's meet them."

In front of the military checkpoint which blocked the entrance to the city, a group of soldiers stood in wait. Lu Hao and his team exited the car, and after verifying their identity, were allowed to pass through.

"Be careful," a military captain told them, his hat casting a shadow over the grave expression on his face. "That thing... it's not like the others."

"We'll try," Lu Hao said.

After going through the checkpoint, Lu Hao and his team properly entered F City. This was one of the few remaining residential areas where common citizens were allowed to reside.

Gaunt and suspicious faces peered out from the dark windows. A few children played on the quiet streets—they chased after each other, small feet pattering on worn concrete and asphalt.

Lu Hao's group entered a sealed area, a building with two gates, to leave the safe zone. One gate opened to let them in, and after that gate closed, the gate at the other side opened to let them out.

And once they were out, they were in the wild zone of F City.

Soldiers covered the top of the gate, providing backup cover and making sure no zombies loitered at the wall. A series of traps lined the area as well. Lu Hao took a cursory glance around. It was all clear; this area usually didn't have many zombies, anyway—not since Lu Hao had cleared them out. He raised his hand to his ear and tapped the radio com. "F City Command, this is Lu Hao. Do you copy?"

A slightly staticky voice responded. "Copy, this is F City Command."

"My team is ready to move out from Checkpoint E. Location of the target?"

"Please hold. Our Locator has indicated that the target may be on the move."

Lu Hao turned his head to Wu Dong. The large and stoic man nodded, and along with another member of the SG, he entered a nearby apartment to climb up to get a vantage point over the city. "Just give me a rough estimate."

The analyst at the other side hesitated. "Previous location was in Area D-C, but... it's..."

Wu Dong reached the top of the apartment building. He scanned F city, head turning in a slow and constant speed. And when his head angled in the direction of F City's main base, he stopped.

Wu Dong raised a hand, moving it in a few quick signals. A flash of understanding passed through Lu Hao's eyes.

Lu Hao signaled to his team. They spread out in formation, and at his go, everyone moved out. "Moving fast, I bet," Lu Hao said into his com, speaking seamlessly even while running and leaping across the city streets. "Sound an alarm and move to a secure location. It's coming back for seconds."

A tense silence came from the other end. "Shit," the analyst muttered. Then, a clatter as the analyst rushed to sound the alarm.

Lu Hao turned off his com. He signaled the team to speed up, and then looked to his right.

A young woman with gentle beauty, like an ephemeral breeze or a wave of water, ran beside him. Seeing his look, Ji Ling smiled and nodded. She jumped ahead, and as she moved, her presence faded and dissolved until even Lu Hao could barely remember she was there.