»»---->Year 1 - Chapter 17<----««

I promise the next chapter will be longer.

Three boys entered, Gwen and Harry recognized the middle one at once: it was the pale boy from Madam Malkin’s robe shop. He was looking at Harry with a lot more interest than he’d shown back in Diagon Alley.

"For Merlin's sake. " Gwen groaned.

"Is it true?" he said. "They’re saying all down the train that Harry Potter’s in this compartment. So it’s you, is it?"

"Yes," said Harry. He and Gwen were looking at the other boys. Both of them were thickset and looked extremely mean. Standing on either side of the pale boy, they looked like bodyguards.

"Oh, this is Crabbe and this is Goyle," said the pale boy carelessly, noticing where Harry was looking. "And my name’s Malfoy, Draco Malfoy."

"We don't care," said Gwen bluntly.

Ron gave a slight cough, which might have been hiding a snigger. Draco Malfoy looked at him.

"Think my name’s funny, do you? No need to ask who you are. My father told me all the Weasleys have red hair, freckles, and more children than they can afford."

He turned back to Harry. "You’ll soon find out some wizarding families are much better than others, Potter. You don’t want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there."

He held out his hand to shake Harry’s, but Harry didn’t take it.

"I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks," he said coolly.

Draco Malfoy didn’t go red, but a pink tinge appeared in his pale cheeks.

"I’d be careful if I were you, Potter," he said slowly. "Unless you’re a bit politer you’ll go the same way as your parents and Thorn's Father. They didn’t know what was good for them, either. You hang around with riffraff like the Weasleys and that Hagrid, and it’ll rub off on you."

Both Harry and Ron stood up. But Gwendolyn was quicker and punch Malfoy in the nose.

"My nose! I think it's broken!" Malfoy cried as he fell. "Get her!"

Crabbe and Goyle turned towards Gwen only to find her holding her wand, ready to fire her wand if indeed.

"You better leave before I try out a jinx I want to try. "

And with that they quickly picked up Malfoy left, closing the compartment door.

"That was awesome!" Ron exclaimed, smiling.

Gwen's eyes slowly turned blue, she blinked a couple of times.

"Oww!" She suddenly whined, waving her wrist.

"Let me see," said Harry, gently holding the hand that she punched Malfoy with. "Wiggle your fingers."

Gwen wiggled her fingers which means she didn't break any.

"You're fine"

"Barely!" Gwen said. "I'm going to change and bandage up my hand." She added taking out her clothes and a roll of bandages.

"Later."

And she left.

"You’ve met Malfoy before?" Ron asked.

Harry explained about their meeting in Diagon Alley.

"I’ve heard of his family," said Ron darkly. "They were some of the first to come back to our side after You-Know-Who disappeared. Said they’d been bewitched. My dad doesn’t believe it. He says Malfoy’s father didn’t need an excuse to go over to the Dark Side." He turned to Hermione. "Can we help you with something?"

"You’d better hurry up and put your robes on, I’ve just been up to the front to ask the conductor, and he says we’re nearly there. You haven’t been fighting, have you? You’ll be in trouble before we even get there!"

"Scabbers has been fighting, not us," Ron lied, scowling at her. "Would you mind leaving while
we change?"

"All right — I only came in here because people outside are behaving very childishly, racing up
and down the corridors," said Hermione in a sniffy voice. "And you’ve got dirt on your nose, by
the way, did you know?"

Ron glared at her as she left. Harry peered out of the window. It was getting dark. He could see
mountains and forests under a deep purple sky. The train did seem to be slowing down.

He and Ron took off their jackets and pulled on their long black robes. Ron’s were a bit short for him, you could see his sneakers underneath them.

"Good, you're done. " Gwen said as returned with her ropes on and her hand bandage.

A voice echoed through the train: "We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes’ time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

Harry’s stomach lurched with nerves and Ron, he saw, looked pale under his freckles. They crammed their pockets with the last of the sweets and joined the crowd thronging the corridor.

The train slowed right down and finally stopped. People pushed their way toward the door and out onto a tiny, dark platform. Harry shivered in the cold night air. Then a lamp came bobbing over the heads of the students, Gwen and Harry heard a familiar voice: "Firs’ years! Firs’ years over here! All right there, Gwen and Harry?"

Hagrid’s big hairy face beamed over the sea of heads.

"C’mon, follow me — any more firs’ years? Mind yer step, now! Firs’ years follow me!"

Slipping and stumbling, they followed Hagrid down what seemed to be a steep, narrow path. It was so dark on either side of them that Harry thought there must be thick trees there. Nobody spoke much. Neville, the boy who kept losing his toad, sniffed once or twice.

"Yeh’ll get yer firs’ sight o’ Hogwarts in a sec,” Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus’ round this bend here."

There was a loud "Oooooh!"

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky was a vast castle with many turrets and towers.

"No more’n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore. Harry, Gwen, and Ron were followed into their boat by Hermione.

"Everyone in?" shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. "Right then — FORWARD!"

And the fleet of little boats moved off all at once, gliding across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered over them as they sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff; they all bent their heads and the little boats carried them through a curtain of ivy that hid a wide opening in the cliff face. They were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking them right underneath the castle,

until they reached a kind of underground harbor, where they clambered out onto rocks and pebbles.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid, who was checking the boats as people climbed out of them.

"Trevor!" cried Neville blissfully, holding out his hands. Then they clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid’s lamp, coming out at last onto smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle.

They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door.

"Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?"

Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆
Hope you enjoyed the chapter see you soon bye for now,

-Maddie