xvi. surprise

James and Sirius grunted as they set Callie on her bed in the shrieking shack. Destroying a Horcrux probably took a toll on her emotions causing distress and her mind to shut down; Remus theorized that.

He saw how everything left her when she knelt down and grabbed the fang to stab the diadem. Her face showed them nothing, he saw it, with his own eyes, being the closest to her. He didn't even see her waver. It was as if... she was murdering someone.

Remus shook his head to take the idea off his head. He was sure Callie wasn't the type of person to kill. It probably was just the adrenaline rush of seeing a Horcrux and Voldemort's soul that near in real life.

So after Callie fainted, he told Sirius and James to bring her back to the shack while he and Peter buried the then an inch small broken diadem before following behind.

It didn't take long after she woke up, still feeling tired that she couldn't lift a finger.

"How do you feel?" James asked on her side. Sirius was on the edge of the bed, Peter behind him, and Remus was standing near James.

"Fine." Even speaking became a bit difficult for her. "Is it done?"

"Mhm." Peter nodded. "You did it. You destroyed it!" he cheered albeit not too loud.

"I did?" Callie started getting up, regaining the energy she lost due to her fainting.

"Yeah. But you passed out as soon as you're done," Sirius teased, earning a tomato face from the girl and a chuckle from the rest.

"You should get more rest," Remus recommended. "We'll get back to bring your meal."

Callie nodded. Even if she was stubborn, she couldn't bring herself to disagree. She was tired from her outburst.

The boys started getting up and leaving her room. As soon as they did, silence reigned, disregarding the birds' songs and the wind bristling from outside.

She could barely remember what she did. Peter said she destroyed the diadem. Wasn't it Remus?

They took the diadem from Filch's office, went into the Dark Forest; she decided Remus should destroy it, since it was him who found the headpiece, so he stabbed it... and then... it broke, and Voldemort's dark soul went out... and then... What happened next? It was all a blur. That was all that she could remember right then.

Slumping back in her bed, Callie decided she needed more rest.

°°°

Two days later, Hogwarts students were expected to come back to the school after finishing their Christmas break. It had also been two days since the first Horcrux was destroyed. And Callie was anxious.

Voldemort might have already known that someone had destroyed his soul. And he might be on the hunt for her. Which she hoped, with all her heart, was false.

Regulus knew about what they did. She told him so through a letter she sent the afternoon of that day after regaining her energy. He expressed how impressed he was with what they pulled off. He had read books about the Horcruxes while he was in their manor. And truth be told, destroying Horcruxes would take a lot.

Callie never suspected that Regulus would tell Voldemort what she had been doing. She trusted him. No matter if there was proof or not. There was just something inside her chest that told her "trust him because he was worth trusting for".

Speaking of which, Regulus walked to the castle and to the Slytherin's common room at a pace much faster than everyone else. He kept his trunk closer to him for the items Callie requested were in there. They need the utmost security.