6~If God wants us to move, he'll give us a push

The bus screeched and pitched to the left as Peter turned off the gravel drive and hit the accelerator.

They were thrown against the side of the bus, Leo lurched forward, and Janessa fell into the aisle. Screams, gasps, and thuds filled the bus after several sharp turns that hurled the passengers this way and that.

It was like a scene out of a movie. The situation didn't seem real. One more jarring turn and Leo would have been pitched against Grace had he not caught himself. Gripping the tops of the seats, he hung on.

Grace's eyes had been closed, but they popped opened and tangled with his. He saw her fear. "Hold on," she cried, and he realized with shock that her concern was for him.

Needing to reassure her, Leo winked.

Pop! Pop! Swish!

"Get down!" Dean shouted, slipping into the seat beside Janessa and gathering her in his arms.

Pop! Pop!

Dropping to the floor, they covered their heads as they were jostled. With a mighty heave, Mark crawled to the seat beside Rose, and Colton fought his way across from them.

Pop! Pop! Pop!

A deluge of glass flooded the bus.

"Is someone shooting at us?" Rose's panicked eyes flew to Mark.

He reached out to put his arm around her shoulders but stopped before making contact. "Probably. Now is a good time to pray."

"Whatever." Colton released a bitter laugh. "You'd do better to stay down and keep your head covered."

Taking Rose's hand, Mark bowed his head and spoke aloud, "Lord God..."

A couple of rows up Janessa touched her throbbing shoulder. With all the jarring movements of the speeding bus, her stomach began to roll. How could this be happening? Her hand moved protectively over her middle.

"You hurt, baby?" Dean whispered against her temple.

"My shoulder. Just a little. I'll be fine," Janessa answered, grateful for his calming presence. She looked over at him. "What about you?"

"Don't worry about me." Dean smiled like he was on the homecoming field receiving his crown instead of running for his life.

Janessa felt a smile. For a moment she forgot about her pain and nausea. She forgot everything except Dean's warm blue eyes and tender smile.

Sensing the crack in the armor she'd built around her heart, Dean raised his arms and flexed his impressive biceps. "I'll protect you, little lady," he teased.

Despite it all, she smiled.

"Everyone ok?" Leo shouted from the front of the bus.

"Hanging in there," Dean answered.

Colton, Rose, and Mark answered the same, but suddenly Mark stood and scanned the bus rows.

"You have to stay down," Rose urged, reaching for his arm but he shook his head.

Mark frowned. "Where's Grace?"

"Up here," she called.

He got down and his gaze ran the aisle, seeing her on her knees at the front of the bus with Peter's head in her lap. "How bad is he hurt?" Mark asked.

"He hit his head, but he's conscious." For the first time Mark noticed Leo was driving the bus.

They were going too fast creating a bumpy ride, but that couldn't be helped. He noticed the shots had stopped.