3

Kaitlyn woke feeling so hot she was burning. The sun was high and glaring through the curtains. It was quiet. It was still. Hard to believe she'd just been chased down hell's halls by a monster. She didn't dare move, unwilling to wake Jacob.

And he was asleep. For the first time ever, he was actually asleep. He'd rolled over and his big body was curved around hers, Kaitlyn's face pressed into the warmth of his strong neck. He was breathing slowly and rhythmically and she could feel the heat of his breaths brushing through her hair. His arm was lying across her waist. His hips were pressed up against hers.

And his wing ... it was surprisingly heavy as it draped over her like a living blanket. His feathers were so soft against her hot skin. So warm.

Her head felt heavy—doubtless because she'd slept too much. But that was hardly the worst thing. A sickening knot sat heavily in the bottom of her belly. Kaitlyn tried to accept Zeke's words: You are the Dark One's vessel and it's time you accept it. But it was hard. And would Jacob accept it now that they were together? What if he hated her for it? Jacob doesn't get angry, Zeke had once told her. But he has and he did—she'd seen it.

Her hip was aching against the mattress and she was forced to shift. She grimaced at the sticky feeling between her legs. It felt worse than usual. More than just her usual discharge. It was almost as though she'd just had sex.

Real sex.

Her eyes widened. Slowly, she eased open her legs and reluctantly reached down between them. Not only was her underwear soaked but there was a wet patch on the bed. There was a wet patch on the bed. Satan had made her bleed before. He'd bruised and cut her. Was it impossible to think that ... other things could transfer between realities?

No. No! She was wrong. She was panicking, that was all. It was just leftover from Jacob's lovemaking last night. It had to be. It couldn't be. It couldn't be.

Kaitlyn bit her lip. She tried to be quiet but couldn't stop the choking sob from rising up her throat.

'Kaitlyn?' came Jacob's voice. Instantly alert, he half sat up, his eyes darting between her and the rest of the room, searching for danger.

Kaitlyn clenched her knees together so he wouldn't see.

'I'm fine,' she croaked.

His brow creased. 'It's him, isn't it? Did he hurt you?' He looked down the length of her body.

Kaitlyn shook her head. 'Not this time.'

'You're flushed and I can hear you're upset. What did he do?'

'Nothing.'

He frowned. 'Kaitlyn.'

'I told you he didn't do anything! He doesn't always do things to me.'

Jacob raised his eyebrows.

Kaitlyn took a deep breath and released it slowly as she tried to control her rising panic. She forced a smile. 'I'm just stressed after all that's happened, that's all. Could we just leave it for now? I don't—I don't want to talk about it.'

He looked at her hard and Kaitlyn was forced to lower her eyes.

'I know you're angry,' she continued. 'I know you're worried. Just ... please.'

He sighed. 'Okay. If that's what you want.' Lying back down, he pulled her in close, tightening his arm around her waist. Brushing the tip of his nose against hers, he kissed her lightly on the lips. It made her break out into goose bumps. Her fingertips tingled. He smelled so good. He felt even better. If only Satan could leave her alone to enjoy him without guilt, without secrets and lies.