Chapter 9

Dinner with Olivia was really nice, it was the first time we had hung out just as friends, although I did make sure to tell her what happened in the gym and explained that a Netflix crew had filmed the whole thing. She laughed at the story, especially when I told her my dirty tactic to beat Max in the plank off and agreed that it was definitely a good thing that I had joined in, not only for my training but also for what had happened at the press conference that day.

She asked how I came to learn French, and I explained that I was actually fluent in a couple of languages. It was easy to learn them travelling around Europe so much karting, and for some reason, I was always able to pick them up easily, it helped that I was always willing to try with the other kids in the paddock, I didn't mind looking like a bit of an idiot, and they often appreciated the effort of someone not assuming they would speak English. While I explained all of this, Olivia just nodded along, asking different questions about my life, and more about my family and I did the same to her and learnt a lot. She was British as well, but from Bristol where her parents still lived. She has no siblings but because of that was always encouraged by her dad to watch F1. When she was younger, she didn't like it at all, but when she got older, she got back into it, and landed an apprenticeship at Williams when she left high school and had now been there three years, putting her at the same age as me. Then she asked the dreaded questions about the other drivers, and I tried to be honest, making an effort for my new friend.

"What do you want to know?" I asked, my face scrunched up at the question.

"I don't know, who's good, who's bad" she questioned.

"Surely you know better than me," I said surprised, "you've been in F1 for three years compared to my two weeks" I laugh, pushing my hair back off my face so I can see her, sitting at the bottom of my bed.

"Well yeah, I know based on reputation, but it's hardly like I ever talk to the drivers," she said thoughtfully. "I don't really count that as knowing. Especially with all the constant rumours." I nod, realising that she was right.

"To be honest, I'm still learning. Most of them, I've never raced against you know?" She nods to that. "I guess Mick and Zhou are the only two I know, Mick obviously I raced with in my rookie F2 year. He's nice, and soft-spoken but has a great sense of humour when he's comfortable. Really dry, sometimes quite dark." Olivia nods along, lapping up the information. I eye her carefully, "this all stays in this room, right?" she looks slightly offended at my insinuation, but nods and I continue. "Zhou is a total enigma to me. Raced with him for years and never felt like I knew him. Then there is George and Lewis, being in the Mercedes driver academy meant that I spent a lot of time with them, and I was George's test and reserve driver, for Williams last year so I spent even more time with him then. They're both great, especially Lewis, because he knows how difficult it is to stand out due to your biology and have people write you off for being different. He's always been particularly good at re-engaging my head after a bad race. I always feel guilty when he does take time to do it, but I appreciate it endlessly and I think he knows it, so he doesn't ever hesitate." I explain the loose mentor role Lewis has served me over the last few years since I was picked up by Mercedes.

Olivia sits there waiting for more. "No one else?" she wonders.

"Mm, nope. Charles nice, I've seen him a couple of times before because I raced with Arthur before he took a break from racing, but only really exchanged a couple of words. I'm loving getting to know Alex. But yeah, that's it," I say trying to rack my brain for more information.

"So...no Verstappen?" she wonders out loud, and I burst out laughing shaking my head.

"NO! God, no! I have legitimately never spoken to him before the test press conference" I confess to her.