ch. VI: self-restraint had won today

Song Playing: dumb dumb (sped up) by mazie

"Is it true?! Is the duchess really here to see me??"

Naira stood up slowly. The girl in front of her was beautiful to say the least. It took her breath away to the point she was just staring. The girl - Lilith maybe - was saying something but no words could be heard to her.

Until the screen in front of her popped up.

"Character name: Lilith Rousseau

Family: Daughter of a high ranking nobleman

Ends up with: Alexander Lamilton

Miss Rousseau is known well for her beauty in the nation. She is naive and can easily be persuaded to do almost anything if the persuader sounds smart enough."

Naira felt that making Lilith do whatever she wanted was going to be easier but an inkling feeling persisted that other characters that may appear in the future might not be.

She tuned back into Lilith was still rambling on, "-I'm not racist or anything but it's so rare to see two different species join in matrimony-"

Naira did a double take at the "species" part.

"What do you mean different species?"

Lilith blinked. She seemed taken aback by Naira's question. "Well your grace, it is quite rare to see a black noblewoman marry a white nobleman. That's all I'm saying. Please forgive me if I've offended you."

Lilith's eyes widened, "Oh how silly of me. I forget that you are still new to our customs since you're from another country. In our society, people of one race are always married in their race. You can just imagine how shocking it was to us all that Sir Amias married a black woman." She laughed like it was the funniest thing in the world.

Naira chuckled drily.

She could feel her blood beginning to boil with each tinkle of Lilith's laugh.

~

Lilith's laugh had become Naira's least favorite sound in the world. Not hate. Hate is a strong word in her dictionary. But "extremely strong dislike" was close to what she felt.

Lilith continued talking after her "species" talk. After listening, Naira concluded that Lilith is in fact stupid. And not just the naive "oh no one told her" kind of stupid. It felt like a wall had learned to talk but the wall was beautiful.

Which Naira had to admit. Lilith was beautiful. A little blinding too. She hadn't met an Angel but she imagined that this must be what it's like to see one in real life. The picture of any Angel was already striking (a gift from God for being chosen), it must be surreal to actually meet one.

Naira eventually managed to get a question in through Lilith's ramblings, "So are there any books that you like?" Naira randomly remembered that people in the 1850s like to have accomplished young girls which included reading accomplishments.

Lilith's eyes widened, "Oh no no. My mother tells me that reading clouds the mind. It's a dangerous thing that only men can handle, which is why men are educated and not women." She lowered her voice and leaned in, "I also heard it can give women dangerous ideas. Some have even tried to marry under their station claiming love is the sickness why."

The teacup and saucer was slightly shaking in Naira's hands. Naira was not a violent person. But she really wanted to throw the teacup full of hot tea at Lilith.