Chapter Three: The Highest of Places

After only a fortnight, Lord Edward Herriot was aggravated to learn that Lady Amelia Warstone was a raging success and nobody wanted her to leave London anytime soon. In fact, many of his associates were looking forward to the end of the widow's mourning period. It was of course customary to wait a whole year for her to mourn, but rules only existed to be sidestepped – especially given how unpopular her late husband had been.

Everyone spoke well of her. Of her elegant breeding, of her refined manners, of her soft voice, of her pleasing countenance.

Every time Edward turned with Lady Hampton on the dance floor at Lord Writtle's ball (Lord knew which Lady Hampton – he was not sure how many there were), he couldn't help but glare at Lady Amelia's pleasing countenance standing out from the throng of married ladies.

Frederick could not speak highly enough of her and how helpful she had been as he adjusted to his new title. His friend had never been able to find fault in anything but himself, and Edward worried that this lady had realised how impressionable he was.

Meanwhile, the only impression Amelia was keen to give was that she wasn't on the verge of collapse. She had spent all night and all morning revising every member of society she might come into contact with – the Lords were easy enough but learning the names of their wives, children, and their relationships to one another (because everyone in this room was related to everyone in this room somehow), was proving trying.

Christina, it turned out, had an encyclopaedic knowledge of just about everything – if there was a fact she didn't know, she could point out where you could find it in the library she ferociously guarded. She had proven useful in Amelia's research. The two ladies could easily agree that knowledge was power.

The reason Amelia had come to the ball tonight, in spite of her widow's weeds, was to mend the argument between Frederick and Lord Higgins, whom Frederick had mistaken for being a member of the Commons. She had managed to befriend Lady Higgins, who was sure to call on her within the week, which had encouraged Lord Higgins to offer Frederick a drink and put the argument behind them.

Now Amelia's main challenge stood in the form of Lady Maldon, a baroness. She was of a lower ranking than Amelia but the Warstones had warned her how sharp the seemingly small, grey lady was.

"Lady Warstone, you are much changed from when I last saw you," was the first accusation. "Lady Maldon, if you are unable to remember. We met some eight or nine years ago."

"Lady Maldon, yes," Amelia sighed with relief. "I was introduced to you and your nephews at a dinner my father hosted. I hope you and your family are well."

God knew what her nephews were called. They were just two or three faces in a long line of suitors.

"They are well. All married and settled now. Daniel is here somewhere," said Lady Maldon, indicating randomly to the dancefloor. "Do you know, I truly do not think I would have recognised you had Lady Warstone not pointed you out."

Amelia forced a small smile. "It has been a rather long eight years."

The Baroness offered her own sad smile. "Of course. It must have been a rather long three months for you. Please know we are all very sorry for your loss."

"Thank you." Thirteen people who had barely known Lord Thomas had said the exact thing tonight, and then gone to congratulate Frederick on his new title – three months on from the death, it was becoming evident that Amelia had no surprises in her womb ready to take it away.

"I know it is customary to wait six months before returning to society," Amelia said, "but I wished to help my cousin with his transition. Although I can confidently say he is proving himself worthy of my husband's title."