Chapter Twelve: Amy

A/N: This chapter's going to get a little spicy!!!

"Nonsense!" Lady Madeleine cried, taking Amelia's arm and leading her to the dining room. "As soon as we heard that Delilah had gone to see you we had your guest bedroom prepared in case you should wish to stay with us again."

It was all rather convenient. Amelia had been prepared for an obstacle, but, after waking up early to bid farewell to her parents once more, she and Delilah had had an easy carriage ride back to London with Henry accompanying them on horseback and were quickly accepted back into Warstone House with open arms.

Well Amelia was at least. The family alternated between shouting at Delilah and crying over her, apart from Christina who stood next to her silently before whispering, "If you ever do that again, bring me with you. It has been insufferable here." This earnt her own lecture from her eldest brother while Henry shook his head and took himself off to lunch.

"Still, I appreciate you having me to stay again at such short notice," said Amelia.

"I will admit, we were rather hopeful to receive a letter during your absence," Lady Madeleine chuckled. "I was about to put my pen to paper myself before, well, you know what happened."

As they entered the dining room, Madeleine takes her youngest daughter's arm and pulls her closer. She takes her normal place at the head of the table with Delilah sat next to her, while Frederick takes the other end. Christina sits between her brothers. Frederick continues frowning at her after her little comment while Henry gives her a patronising pat on the head. She swats him away but he keeps his hand on her shoulder until the food is served. The only remaining place for Amelia was between Frederick and...Edward.

He stood out from a mile away, a bright beam of light in the room of dark hair and serious faces. His face was not serious but angry, his jaw clenched and his eyes glowing, but he tried his best to hide it as he bowed.

"Lady Amelia," he groaned, sending a shiver down her spine. "I did not know you would be joining us again before the next season."

"No," she replied breathlessly, and his whole demeanour shifted back slightly with surprise. "I wanted to see my cousin home safe."

"So how long will you remain with...in London?"

Amelia realised she was stood still and finally scuttled over to her chair, allowing everyone to take a seat. "It depends," she said. "Going home may have helped me to realise that there are things to keep me here."

"What sort of things?" Edward murmured.

Frederick cleared his throat obliviously. "Well I certainly hope Lady Maldon is one of them. We have not been able to attend an event without her finding us to ask after you. I am surprised she has not called on us already."

Edward kept a tight grip on his cutlery and said little throughout the dinner as the conversation swirled around him. This was certainly some reward for coming to check on his friend in his time of need. As soon as Frederick had arrived at his house yesterday to ask after Delilah, he joined the hunt with him and Henry and scoured Hyde Park for her. Eventually he was called back to Warstone House to be informed that she had run off to see her cousin. He waited with the family in silence for several hours, apart from the odd outburst from Lady Madeleine over whether it would rain, whether that would hinder their travels, and whether they were safe.

When it became apparent that Henry and Delilah would not return that night, Edward left with the promise to return in the morning in case anything needed to be done. It had meant rescheduling his lunch with Lord Tambery, an old friend of his father who was on good terms with the Earl of Liverpool, the Prime Minister, and it seemed that making such a sacrifice required a punishment. Here he was, forced to sit next to Amelia for well over an hour, unable to speak to her.