Chapter Six: Not Very Much

Picnics, Amelia decided, superseded balls as the most unnecessary, frivolous occasions she had ever experienced. The soft green landscape was now coated in deep gold, crimson, and emerald, all constantly moving. Blankets and cushions sprawled across the park as far as she could see, taking up more room than the fifty guests needed. Each blanket carried dozens of plates of cakes, drinks, sandwiches, and fruits, more than the collective could ever eat.

She was annoyed at how much she was enjoying herself.

Delilah had spent the first half of the picnic sat on the ground next to Amelia's chair playing the perfect lady before running off to join the Hamptons in a game of blind man's bluff with some of the younger children. Lady Madeleine was trapped in a conversation with her elderly aunt, Jeanine Atwater, which Frederick and Henry were tactically avoiding by inviting a couple of young ladies to promenade down to the river. And Christina was hiding...somewhere. She was by no definition of the word a small girl but she always found a way to disappear.

"Looking for someone?" growled a low voice. If he had not used that voice, Amelia would not have turned to face Lord Herriot.

They had politely greeted one another earlier but Lord Herriot had been too occupied with greeting his sister's guests. She had spent half the afternoon wondering if he would try to speak to her after not seeing him all week, and it seemed he was not certain whether he ought to speak to her either.

"Lady Christina has disappeared again," said Amelia. Before she could reconsider, she stood to face him. "I am going to see if she has gone down to the river. You may escort me if you wish."

Edward had not known what to expect when he attempted to apologise. In spite of mulling the issue over all week, he had not anticipated courtesy.

As Amelia began to walk away from the party, Edward obediently followed. Once they were out of earshot, he said, "I cannot apologise enough for my behaviour the last time we met. I had no right to speak so ill of your husband and be so inconsiderate of your grief. I apologise profusely."

"You're forgiven," Amelia mumbled. She had never been very distressed to begin with – she was happy to have made a fool of him, before feeling the slightest pangs of regret once she realised that their argument had kept him away from her for a whole week. Amelia knew it was wrong but Lady Amelia Warstone had certainly become fond of his attentions, even if she was determined they should never go anywhere.

Edward's face did not relax – his jaw was still clenched in shame and he would not meet her eyes. She had to do something to fix it.

"I too would find it difficult to contain my temper after having been fed nine spoonfuls of sugar," Amelia admitted.

"I knew-" he began to shout before silencing himself and biting back a smile. "We shall agree to put the day behind us and forgive one another."

"Oh, I was not trying to apologise," said Amelia, her lip quirking a little more than she would usually allow.

"Perhaps it's a good thing I did not stay for lunch."

"You will not be able to escape me for long."

Edward grinned widely, honestly. "I certainly hope not."

After a few more silent steps, they found themselves close to the edge of the Serpentine. "No sign of Lady Christina," Amelia sighed. Her desire to look for her cousin was secondary to her desire to finally be able to speak to Lord Herriot again, but she was still disappointed not to know where Christina had gone.

When Amelia continued down the river, Edward obligingly followed her. "The Warstones have quickly become fond of you."

"The Warstones are fond of everyone," she deflected.