Chapter 3: The Arrival

I pulled my ponderous suitcase out of the train. When I was packing, I was happy I didn't get stuck with the 20-kilo limit for a flight. Actually, I wasn't the type of woman who had much trouble with packing. Usually, I even managed to stay far under the said limit. So I was occasionally able to help out my friends. It had become so established that a wide-grinning emoji was all I needed to know. The organisational talent I was, I always responded immediately with my free capacity.

But this time, a different thought pushed me while I was packing.

Jake...

This silly fantasy of him waiting for me in Duskwood. He would take me into his world. And start our life of escape.

It would be us against the world! Like Bonney and Clyde...

For this scenario I had to take all my favourite clothes with me. And for other scenarios, I also needed special underwear.

I made a fool of myself as I stood in front of my wardrobe wondering which colour Jake would prefer. But it didn't stop me from packing my entire collection of lace underwear.

So really stupid...

Just the very unlikely case of Jake showing up out of the blue. It wouldn't mean that he was willing to be involved with me.

Emotionally as well as physically...

I was ready!

For so long...

He, on the other hand, had been fighting his feelings for so long. Of course, there was fear on my part, his fears had taken over.

It hurts...

But I hoped for his well-being. No matter how much that thought tore me apart from the inside. I wanted him to be safe and free.

What was love doing to me?

As selflessly as I would give my life for his. Everything for his happiness. Even if it might mean I wouldn't be a part of it. But this didn't necessarily mean I couldn't indulge in any fantasies. On the other hand, I couldn't because Jessy was watching me almost 24/7.

I don't know whether I should be grateful to her for this or not.

"Let me help you," said a familiar male voice behind me. Well, as familiar as a voice could be after one phone call. A call from prison by the way.

A disturbing call...

Jake and I had taken our conversation in a more intimate direction at that point. Well, what intimacy meant to us. I had managed to get over my imagination how it would be to finally meet him. I had even dared to say that I hoped for a kiss. All my words directed at him based on his courage to ask me out to dinner.

Someday...

Chinese...

Absolutely a cuisine which I strongly preferred. Or at least the western kind of Chinese cuisine. Jake was so damn sweet. He was trying to avoid inviting me to a restaurant whose food I didn't like.

How thoughtful...

Especially since I really would have travelled everywhere with him. Even somewhere deep in the woods of Duskwood. The important point is that I would have been able to meet him.

But I never would!

So I needed to concentrate on the present...

Instead of doing something stupid...