Chapter 13: Guilt!

I was standing in the middle of a road. I looked around in panic. There were barely a few lanterns providing light.

Where the hell was I?

The vibration of my mobile phone startled me. I quickly pulled it out of the back pocket of my jeans.

A call from Jessy...

"Hey Jessy," I answered the call in a friendly manner.

"Hey... Thanks you for talking to me on the phone," she chattered away immediately. "I wanted to be home before it got dark..."

Her words sounded so incredibly familiar to me....

Did I even mention that she could call me?

" Oh man... unbelievable on Cleo and Thomas were going to break into the basement."

Suddenly, the mobile phone in my hand had disappeared. I looked up, irritated.

"I mean... What did those two think they were going to find. There isn't anything in there." she continued into her phone. An oppressive feeling spread through my body. This situation felt so familiar.

"And what if I would be unable to get a hold of them now? Does that mean Phil seriously going to call the police? Damn...It would be the last thing we need-"

This was the moment when Jessy was attacked. I wanted to reach her. But my body didn't obey me. I couldn't even call her name. In the next moment, she was already sitting up again. At first I was relieved, just to see her face covered in blood.

"It's your fault!" she said mechanically and walked towards me. Panic started to rise inside me.

"It's your fault!" she repeated her words as she took her next step.

"It's your fault!" The blood flowed down her face. "It's your fault!"

"I'm sorry..." I whispered.

"It's your fault! Just yours!" said a distorted male voice. Automatically, I turned in the direction where the voice was coming from. He was right next to me.

The man without a face!

"It's all your fault!" he said in his sombre voice. Startled, I looked away.

In front of me was a car which had been involved in an accident after hitting a tree with overspeed. There was smoke coming out of the bonnet. I slowly walked towards it. The driver's door opened automatically. A badly injured Dan looked at me with empty eyes.

"It's your fault!" he said just as mechanically as Jessy had done.

"It's your fault!" Dan and Jessy, who was suddenly standing next to Dan's car, said in synchronisation. Her face was still covered in blood.

"It's your fault! It's all your fault!" said the man without a face next to me in a teasing singsong. I gazed up into the cloudy night sky in despair.

"It's your fault!" Dan, Jessy and the man without a face said in unison.

I wanted to look at them, but I looked at Richy's face. He was smirking at me. In one hand he was holding the mask and in the other a lighter. I couldn't explain why my gaze slid to the floor for a few seconds. There was a shimmering liquid all around us.

Petrol?

My eyes wandered around the area.

I was in the mine!

A click brought my attention back to Richy!

"This is your fault!" he said with a broad grin as he dropped the lighter.