27.

Sebastian didn't know what to expect when he passed through Hodvekt's front gates, but what he saw rattled him to his core.

After Hannibal relayed the message back to the guards at the gate, the Arkangel convoy continued their journey toward the village. They were ordered to remain just outside the entrance while Sebastian, Imogen, Dorian, and Jocasta followed Catherine inside. The head of House Brynjir elected to have a word with the Arkangel's leader before officially letting them into her camp.

The Arkangels refused to let Jocasta go in alone, afraid of an ambush, but the woman insisted on adhering to Catherine's wishes. The two of them had been rather cordial since their meeting. Sebastian wasn't sure how long it'd last, though. House Brynjir interacted with the Arkangels the most. The two groups shared the most animosity. If they hadn't fought yet, it was only a matter of time before they were at each other's throats.

That's why Sebastian kept close by with his eyes and ears at the ready in case anything popped off. But as they walked through Hodvekt, he couldn't help but notice the stark difference in how it looked now versus when he was last there.

The village hidden in the lush forests of the Pacific Northwest didn't look as domineering and proud as it once was. A light dusting of snow covered the ground and the Nordic-inspired structures that populated the dead grass. Many of them sported burn marks, tattered roofing, and splintered pieces of dark wood. Despite the wind sneaking around them, House Brynjir's green flags refused to wave as Sebastian and company passed them by.

He arched an eyebrow as they crossed paths with a few Brynjirs. They hung their heads as they went, their shoulders weighed down by an invisible force. Depressed looks covered their soot-stained faces.

"I've never been to one of your settlements," Jocasta said as she took note of everything around her. "I must say, I'm impressed."

Hannibal snorted.

Catherine kept her face pointed forward. "I'd hope you hadn't been to any of our cities." That was all she said.

Jocasta's blue eyes darkened with contempt at the short remark. "It doesn't look very secure, though," she added. "Even with your magic, my forces would be able to take this village with ease."

Catherine scowled but said nothing.

Sebastian exhaled, his shoulders sagging with exhaustion. Watching the two women interact was akin to observing two animals circling each other in a jungle. The pettiness would've been amusing had the stakes of their situation been any lower. But they were as high as they could've possibly been. There was no time to be at each other's throats. The Order of the Black Lotus had already taken ownership of the space.

Behind him, Dorian sniffed the air a few times. Then he sneered. He whipped his head around as if he'd been yanked about by an imaginary lasso. Sebastian furrowed his brow at the werewolf.

"What?"

"Wolves are close by. Too close, for my liking."

"Redfangs?"

"Yes...and not just them. I smell monsters too."

Sebastian's steps faltered. Jocasta's words, coupled with the current state of Hodvekt, suddenly made a lot more sense. He turned to Catherine, who was a few paces ahead. "Catherine...what happened here?"

She glanced at him over her shoulder. There was no more smile on her face. No joy in her green eyes. "Since Achilles was killed, we haven't stopped being attacked. Constant hits every few days by an array of creatures. Werewolves, wendigos, even beasts we haven't seen for decades."