35.

Sebastian still felt like he was falling.

Thorian had shot the poor Stormkiller right out of the sky. Sebastian never even got the chance to give it a name. Now it was dead. Another life added to the already long list of souls lost because of him.

He'd been close to death many times before, but when he fell off the dragon's back, he thought he'd finally met his end. Had it not been for Makaela grabbing him and the others before shadowjumping them out of the sky, he'd have hit the snow like a comet, never to open his eyes again.

The entire ordeal kept him up for a week straight.

He rubbed his eyes as if trying to rid himself of the bags beneath them. His bones felt like lead as he shuffled about his room. The cold wood beneath his bare feet chilled him to his core. He ran his fingers through his shaggy hair.

After they recovered from their fall, they didn't even bother searching for House Vaya's artifact in the snow. They'd never find it. There was nothing to be found, for Sebastian knew what happened to it. His father had taken the Andhis for himself. They all had laid there in the snow, bodies shivering, lips blue, and eyes barely open. No one needed to say anything. They all knew what happened.

They had survived, but at what cost?

The Order of the Black Lotus now had six of the seven Eldenarian artifacts. Makaela still possessed the Illumio, but for how much longer? How long until Thorian stormed the Eldenarian Palace in search of it? Something told Sebastian the wait wouldn't be a lengthy one.

He was wrong when he told his father their fight would end that day. It hadn't, and it wouldn't be over anytime soon.

This was just the beginning.

Despite the man's acquisition of another artifact, he suffered a loss himself. Castle Braexus wasn't safe for him or the Order anymore. The Eldenarian Council had it locked down and secured by Eldai since they rushed it two weeks ago. No Shades returned to the castle—and Thorian hadn't tried to recover it—so it was safe to say they'd abandoned their headquarters.

They were now without a home. They, too, were vulnerable.

But that only made them more dangerous.

Sebastian wasn't looking forward to his next meeting with them. His body still ached from the last fight. He could barely cast a simple charm these days without getting a pounding headache. Makaela was experiencing the same thing—she'd just gotten out of the infirmary a few days prior.

He hadn't seen her much since they got to the palace. Most of his time was spent consorting with the council, which was finally whole again. She spent her days in the lone temple dedicated to her house of magic in the outskirts of town. Dorian, Remy, and Olivier visited her the most. They were the only ones she let near her once she was released from the palace's medical wing.

After helping them return home, the Vayans decided it was time they returned to the council. Their leader, the mysterious Madame Alizeh, arrived at the palace the day after Sebastian and the others did. They had yet to leave, opting to set up shop in the previously abandoned temple for House Vaya. Karuma Kasai and her advisors made frequent visits as well. Every seat of the council was filled now. Olivier assumed the role of head of the council for the time being.

The Prophecy of Eight warned them of war. It predicted the bloodshed and casualties they'd suffered since the Order of the Black Lotus embarked on their quest for the artifacts. This war was in full swing now. More battles would occur until they reached a resolution. More magicians would die. It was a certainty at this point.

Sebastian clenched his jaw at the thought.

He'd do whatever he could to stop that from happening, but he knew there wasn't much he could do. Sacrifices must be made if they were to defeat his father.