1

Is the end scary?

Not really.

Is it dark?

It was the brightest thing he'd ever seen in his life.

Why did it happen?

Because... because there is no banquet in this world that doesn't come to an end. At least that's what he was told once. A long, long time ago.

"Would you say history depicts what an artist will make?" Xie Lian's historical artist lecturer asks the class.

No one makes a move to answer. It's a trick question. And everyone knows it. There really is never a right answer to these kind of things. To be fair there is never really a right answer to art. Just a feeling, an opinion. It was open and allowed exploration.

It's why Xie Lian feels so deeply connected to it. He dreams of art. And unknown artist painting away as he wanders the dream scape. Sometimes the artist called out. Sometimes he doesn't.

Xie Lian doesn't know who that person is supposed to be. Or why he dreams of him so much. But it inspires him each time. Leaves him happy and comfortable. Like an old familiar love song you can gently sway to.

Art has no answer only a solution of creativity and passion that emits deep from within the media of an artist. Art is really only a mirror to see yourself in. A portal to escape. A saviour. Art can be whatever you need it to be. That why it's so tricky to answer questions on it.

His teacher knows this and always catches people out with things like this. Loves it. Craves it. But unfortunately for some unlucky soul, when no one answers, his teacher will just pick someone at random.

Xie Lian pities whoever gets chosen for this question.

"Alright then." He teacher says scanning the lecture hall. No one makes eye contact. "I'll ask again. Would you say history depicts what an artist will create... Xie Lian?"

Damn. Xie Lian really cursed himself that time. That's his luck for you. The boy stands up tiredly. "Or sir," he starts because who doesn't love a good debate when they only have 5 minutes left. "Would you say an artist makes the history in which we the people in the present depict."

The lecturer raises a brow. "Elaborate."

Xie Lian nods. "Well it's true an artist can be influenced by history. Take the period of religious paintings. They crop up through out the past in waves. They did not live through such times yet they paint them as if they did. And most times the detail is so realistic it's hard to argue they didn't have the god sent vision they claim. However." He says smiling softly.

"Even with cases like those they have still created a history simply by documenting a time that has become past. Much can be said for artists who dreamed of the future or simply those who were inspired by the present. Either way one day their paintings will be a legacy and a part of history. And in the future people like us will look back and pull apart their artwork looking for meaning and references. Hidden messages and a story that may or may not be there. But it still provides us with a history. Thus we depict their artwork as history itself."

His teacher grins. "Very good Xie Lian. As expected take notes class." He says with a wave of his arm.

"And another question for you then. If I were to give you an artist to study. A modern man. One that creates paintings of a time he can't have lived through yet does so in such immaculate detail that one would double guess the fact. What would you take from that? If the man told you he lived through it would you have the evidence to dispute his claim? Would you believe him based solely off his photographic paintings, or would you spend your whole life searching for evidence he's lying?"