Chapter 3

The hallway is silent as you and The Colonel both process what Elvis just said. Parker's face  starts to redden as his disbelief and anger grows. Elvis pays him no mind as he stares down at you. As you gaze into his blue eyes, you feel something you've never felt before. You don't know what it's called, but it makes your chest feel tight and your palms sweaty.
The way he's looking at you makes your body feel like it's on fire. No one has ever looked at you like that before. It makes this moment feel even more unreal and overwhelming.

Did he just say his assistant?  I got the job? I don't understand, I thought that man said-

"She can't be your assistant!" Both you and Elvis snap your heads toward the Colonel who looks like he's trying very hard to contain his temper.

"And why not?" Elvis' face is devoid of any emotion as he watches the Colonel struggle to come up with an answer.

"W-well my boy, I just don't think she can handle a rigorous-

"She can handle it. Didn't you hear her say she's been reading since she was 3? My girl is smart." Elvis wraps a lean, strong arm around your waist and pulls you closer to him while smiling down at you.

His girl? Did he say I'm his girl? Your face feels hot as you look down at your feet to hide your nerves.

"I just don't think she's a good fit for you. It's nothing personal, but once you see some of the other candidates, I guarantee you'll change your mind," The Colonel winks.

Elvis looks up at his manager with subtle anger on his face. "I don't need to look at anyone else, I want her. She's the best damn candidate I've heard out of all of them. And you don't think she's a good fit?," he stops his mini rant to smile down at you. "She's perfect."

You look up at Elvis in awe. Does he really think I'm perfect? No one has called me that since Mama died. You hide your face as you feel tears starting to well up in your eyes.

"Hey, hey, hey little mama; what're those tears for huh?" Elvis grabs your chin in his big hand and lifts your head up. The sight of your big brown eyes overflowing with tears makes his heart feel like he's been stabbed a thousand times.

"Don't cry baby girl, please don't cry." He cups your face in his hands and starts to brush away the tears. The pout on your sweet lips makes Elvis want to get on his knees and beg you tell him what ails you, so he can rescue his sweet princess like the devoted knight he's becoming. Although his heart is aching seeing you like this, one part of him can't help but admire how woefully beautiful your innocent face is when you cry. 

You have stars in your eyes and in your heart as you feel Elvis cup your face in his big hands. The chill of his many rings helps cool your flushed skin. You feel so embarrassed crying in front of him. You take a deep breath to collect yourself.

"I-I-I'm sorry. I don't mean to cry; this is just like a dream come true. I can't believe you're here, in front of me, and I get to be your assistant," you whisper.

"Well, believe it honey." Elvis grins while wiping away the last of your tears. "If you can dream it, you can do it," he winks.

The Colonel watches the interaction in shock. Elvis once again pulls you into his side as he speaks to his manager. "Well since everything's said and done, I'm gonna escort this little lady to her new room." He turns around, grabbing your hand as he leads you down the hallway. You turn around to see the Colonel gawking at the two of you. As he catches your eye, his face drops into a cold frown. You quickly turn back around, a flash of fear running through your body causing you to involuntarily grip Elvis' hand tighter.

"You okay?" Elvis looks down at you in concern while rubbing his thumb on the back of your hand.

"Y-yeah. I'm just a little tired from all that walking." As soon as you mention it, your body seems to remember the 12 miles you had to walk from the train station to the hotel. Your feet scream at you with every step, throbbing in your black uniform shoes. You try to hide your limp but it's too late.