Chapter 12: Interrogation

Ryan really wanted to go over to the Dunphy house early in the morning and be like, "Yo Phil, can I have some breakfast with you, buddy."
Phil probably replies, "Cool, come in."
Cut to Phil alone in front of a camera.
Phil - "At that time, my mouth might be saying Cool come in, but my eyes were saying I know I shot you, but that doesn't mean you can just barge in when you want."
Thankfully Ryan didn't act on this foolish idea as he was just not so close to the Dunphy's to show up and expect to be welcomed.
It would probably end up with him forcing himself into an awkward situation and maybe even being called a weirdo.
As Ryan was wondering how to approach the Dunphy's more practically and realistically. A saying just popped up in his head.
It was a saying from a children's book that slow and steady win the race. So Ryan decided to take the slow road like the turtle.
Ryan - "Alright, so let's see. Last time I was over at the Dunphy's to study with Alex. Maybe I should start there."
"I have already studied with Alex at her house. Maybe it's time to return the favor and invite her over."
"Although inviting Alex over won't be a big deal, it sure will let them know that Alex and I are becoming good friends."
"Maybe while I am there, I can even make some small talk with the other family members and earn some bonus points."
"The only issue is will Claire let her daughter come to my house or not? Hmm, I don't think it should be a problem, right?"
"As it is not like I am picking up Alex and taking her far away like this isn't some finding Nemo movie."
"I live right across the street from them, so getting permission to study over shouldn't be so hard."
Ryan then tidied up his room. After all, he was having a girl over. Having a messy room wasn't the vibe he wanted to give off to others.
He then headed downstairs to find his mother making pancakes for breakfast and his father sitting at the dining table, reading a newspaper in his hands.
Ryan sat at the dining table next to his dad, awaiting his breakfast. While sitting at the dining table, a question popped into Ryan's head that he just couldn't figure out.
Ryan - "Dad, I have had a question I have been holding in for a while."
Nathan replied, "Oh, go on, my son, ask me anything."
Ryan asked, "Dad, I wanted to ask why did you help me sell my movie to someone else instead of producing it yourself."
Nathan pondered for a while, then spoke, "You see, Ryan, it's not that I don't have confidence in you. Instead, there are many reasons why I didn't produce it."
Ryan spoke, "Oh, go on, then I am listening."
Nathan - "Alright, first, our studio is already producing three other works. It consumed most of my resources, so it is hard for me to put another movie into the mix."
"Second, it is not that I have less confidence in you, but instead, it's due to my confidence that I recommended you to others. You see, it's difficult to even have your script read by one of the big six."
"Not to mention, even with my recommendation, all that is guaranteed is that your script would be read if it could make it or not. Is not in my hands."
"So what do we know from this?"
Ryan - "That it is tough to write for the big six."
Nathan replied, "Yup, so having a writing credential in their works goes a long way for your career."
"Plus, they are called the big six because they control way more resources than the other studios. Can you guess why that is?"
Ryan spoke, "Due to their movies having a more chance to make money?"
Nathan responded, "Correct. You see, cinema lines don't want to take much risk but earn the most money simultaneously."
"So when you become a big enough name in the industry, you can consider working with me."
"As then just by hearing your name, cinema lines would give way and provide you with many theaters."
"You can even consider doing a Steven Spielberg then and start your own movie company, but this is all in the future."
"Right now, focus on studies and take writing as a part-time job so as not to have wasted your childhood away."
After this talk, Ryan had a clearer vision of his future. It also made him realize that being a scriptwriter may sound easy, but it was an extremely hard job.
Ryan and his father then had a rich breakfast. Ryan then got permission from his mother to bring Alex over to study.
Ryan then headed over to the Dunphy house at around 9oclock in the morning.
Hearing the doorbell, Claire opened the door to find a handsome young man standing outside her house.
Claire - "Ryan, right?"
Ryan - "Yes"
Claire - "Alright, come on in."
Ryan - "Don't mind if I do."
Claire - "So what brings you to my humble abode."
Ryan - "Humble abode, huh I hope I am not intruding on a Shakespeare play."
Claire - "What?"
Ryan - "Nothing, just a small joke. Anyway, I wanted to ask permission to let Alex come to my place to study."
Claire - "Yeah, I have been meaning to ask you what's up with you and Alex?"
Ryan - "I don't quite understand your question."
Claire - "Alright, I will ask you straightforwardly, why do you insist on hanging around Alex? Do you like her?"
Ryan - "I do like her, but we are not dating."
Claire - "I see. What are your plans for the future?"
Ryan - "Future?"
Claire - "Like, what will you do when you grow up."
Ryan - "I plan on becoming a financial analyst and starting my own company."
Claire - "Starting a company costs a lot of money. How do you plan on getting that?"
Ryan replied, "Well, I write scripts on the side, so I plan on making money through my works."
Claire - "A script writer now that a pipe dream. I don't think."
Ryan interrupted, "My father owns his own movie studio, so I have enough connections in the industry."
"Not to brag, I have already sold two works to 20th-century fox and made 380,000 dollars."
"Between you and me, it took me a total of one week to produce both those works."
"As it turns out, I am a bit of a genius in script writing, and my first draft was so perfect that no one could find any error in it."
"Making all my first drafts the final drafts."
Hearing what Ryan just said left Claire speechless.