Chapter XVIII- A Witch's Execution

I had told Adonis about what my parents had said and what my father did. It was a heavy weight off my chest. For the entire night he stayed with me, holding me in a comforting hug. He was very angry when he heard what happened though. It wasn't something I'd seen from him before.

Although, he calmed himself down rather quickly. He laid with me in bed and had me on top of his chest. He let me cry whenever I needed to. He combed through my hair with his fingers. He didn't even seem to mind doing any of this for me. It was nice and I appreciated it more than I could say.

However, due to my headache and exhaustion from crying so much, I fell asleep only after an hour. Although, now it was morning, and I knew that because my eyes were beginning to flutter open. I squinted as I looked around my room.

I heard soft breathing beside me and turned over. I saw Adonis. He was sleeping so peacefully. Seeing him so close to me, it made my face flare up. I quietly tossed my legs over the side of the bed. I noticed that I was still in yesterday's dress. How embarrassing.

Standing up, I noticed a figure by the door. My eyes locked onto it. I couldn't make out who it was, but it looked like the silhouette of a human. They were just standing there. But then, they turned around and walked out of the open door. A door that was always closed...

I quickly chased after them. "Wait!" I whisper-shouted. I followed them down the hallway and down both flights of stairs. I barely even realized how empty the corridors were. There was no one around aside from the figure and myself.

They went through the open front door. I didn't hesitate to follow them. "Wait a second!" I exclaimed, feeling my bare feet hit the cold ground outside. I ran for a long time and I'd even chased it off the property. I didn't know where we were going. And come to think of it, I didn't understand why I was chasing it. It was like I had no control over my actions. Yet who were they?

However, I found myself running into town. There were people outside, working and playing. Squinting to see ahead of me, I gasped and skidded to a stop right before I ran into a young woman. "I'm so sorry!" I nearly yelled, panting. She looked at me, startled. "I wasn't paying attention to where I was going, please forgive me-" I was cut off.

"Hey! You're the Desdemona girl! What are you doing?" A man shouted, walking up to me. I gave him a confused look and he stopped a few inches in front of me. "Who are you talking to?" He asked carefully. I looked around for the woman again and gaped as she was nowhere to be seen. She was dead... I gazed back up at the man, who'd been glaring straight into my eyes. He was intimidating.

He got closer to me, making me feel uncomfortable. I tried to take a step back, stumbling as I felt my bare feet ache. I looked down at them and so did he. "Witch?" He said in shock. He quickly backed away from me and I stared at him in surprise. "WITCH!!" He screeched. Everyone stopped and all eyes were on us. I felt all air leave my lungs.

Without even a second wasted, my arms were seized by four hands with tight grips. I gasped. "No! No, I'm not a witch!!" I shouted, kicking my feet forward as the two men who had ahold of me pulled me back. "I swear! Stop this!!" I continued, thrashing in their hold. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was panicking.

I heard alarm bells ringing as I was dragged towards the church. I didn't stop kicking my legs as I tried to get out of the men's grips. I'm not a witch! I looked up and saw a mob following us. They held ropes and chains. The sight only made my fear rise.

I heard the doors to the church open and they carried me over to the podium. They threw my body down at the floor. I had to gasp for air as it left my lungs at the harsh impact. Before I could even sit up, chains and ropes were on my wrists and ankles.