Chapter XXXIV- Mischief Lurking

It was quickly nearing the end of autumn. The weather was growing colder and colder by the day. The winter would soon be here. I could feel it in the cold wind that blew by harshly.

I held my hair behind my ear. I was sitting in front of the open window in the study. The day was cloudy, but very beautiful. I'd come here to read, but the scenery kept me distracted from my discarded book on the nearby table.

All of a sudden, there was a masked face in front of me. I jumped in shock and gasped. It was Damian! He crawled inside from the window and sat on the sill. "You scared me!" I exclaimed, holding a hand against my chest. "How did you get up here?" I questioned confusedly. I stood up and looked out the window towards the ground.

Damian motioned towards the vines that had grown on the outer walls of the house. I sighed and glanced at him, crossing my arms. "You shouldn't do that. You could've gotten hurt," I scolded him.

He tilted his head at me innocently. I rolled my eyes at him as I unfolded my arms. I went to go get my book so that I could finally finish it. However, I didn't get very far before I felt a hand grab onto my wrist.

I whipped around and I was met with the sight of Damian directly in front of me. I gasped in surprise. He held my wrist in a firm grip against his chest. His eyes seemed so full of mischief. They were nearly glowing.

"D-Damian? What are you doing?" I asked, still stunned by his actions. He only continued to stare at me for a moment longer. His free hand reached up and I felt him begin to play with a few strands of my hair.

He slowly dragged my hand towards his face, his grip gradually loosening on my wrist. He placed my palm on the edge of his mask. I inhaled sharply, breath hitching.

I looked into his eyes. He hadn't broken eye contact with me. I flinched in astonishment as he steadily used my hand to peel his mask away from his face. He closed his eyes.

They were reopened when the mask was completely away from his face. It was then in my hand, which he gently held to the side of his head. My eyes were wide and my jaw had already dropped. A few strands of his brown hair had fallen out of place and were in front of his eyes.

He had copper freckles scattered across his face. Most of them were near or on his nose. His amber eyes radiated in the dim lighting. His eyebrows were thin, but a tad bushy.

I was frozen in shock. I never expected something like this to happen. It was such a regular day. But it wasn't regular. Not anymore. Now I was staring at a phantom's previously hidden and mysterious face.

He looked as if he'd come straight out of a painting. He was stunning! It couldn't get myself to form words. My jaw was hung open and my eyes were still wide with shock.

I was pulled from my thoughts when he pulled my hand back towards his face. He slowly brought my knuckles toward him, never breaking eye contact with me. He placed small delicate kisses on each of my fingers.

I blushed madly. He looked into my eyes the entire time and soon, he'd kissed all five fingers on my hand. I had to tighten my grip on his mask so I didn't drop it.

For some reason, my hand trembled. He lowered our limbs, but didn't release me from his grip. His body felt unbearably close to my own. I could even feel his cold breath against my face.

I finally took a small breath and pursed my lips. I was still speechless, however. I bit my lip. I felt him gently take his mask from my hand. He slowly put it back on his face, making sure it was adjusted properly.

Then, he left the room through the window. I was still for a moment before I rushed over to the window. I leaned over the edge and looked around near the ground. No one. I slowly stood back up and frowned.

 I slowly stood back up and frowned

Elwin and Damian <3