Chapter XXX- Into Town I Go

"Help! Please!" I begged. The water around me was hard to stay above. With the splashing of the waterfall, my head kept going under. The heaviness of my dress at least doubled as it was soaked with liquid.

All I wanted to do was walk across the waterfall above, but I'd slipped and fallen into the deep lake below. And of course, to my luck, water was one of my greatest fears. And I could not swim.

I choked and gasped as I resurfaced once again. "Somebody!! Help me!" I cried. My tears, along with the water, blurred my vision. I tried kicking my legs and throwing my arms out. Nothing worked and I only went back under.

I choked on the water as it entered my lungs. I could do nothing to stop it. All around me, the only thing in sight was darkness. I must've gone so deep. I could see my golden hair swishing in the water around me and my long dress flowing around.

I couldn't close my eyes or move. And I definitely couldn't smell. I couldn't do a thing. I think that I died. I drowned.

I awoke with a gasp as my eyes snapped open. I looked around me at the semi-familiar surroundings. There was a hand rubbing soothing circles on my hip.

I glanced up and saw Adonis. He had a soft smile on his lips and he was shirtless. There was, however, a blanket covering anything below his waist.

I blushed deeply as I realized I was laying on his chest. Not only that, but the only thing covering my body was a thin blanket wrapped around me. Memories from the night prior came flooding back and I hid my face in Adonis' chest.

He chuckled, making his chest rumble. "How do you feel, my love?" He inquired huskily, softly. His voice was so soft and gentle that I felt like melting.

I bit my lip. "Um, I don't know. Good?" I said quietly. How was I supposed to feel? I know I felt amazing about last night. In fact, it made me feel like I was on top of the world. I told him I loved him. My hand made its way to my lips and I pressed my fingers against them.

He ran his fingers through my hair, still using his other hand to rub my hip. I looked back up at him to see him still smiling. I blushed. "You aren't hurt, no?" He asked gently.

A smile tugged at my lips. "I'm okay," I assured him. To be honest, I was sore, but it wasn't a big deal. I rested my head against his chest again.

We remained in silence for a few minutes with him rubbing comforting circles on me and combing through my long raven hair. I smiled to myself against this chest, but my mind found it's way back to my dream. No, it felt too real to be a dream.

I tapped my fingers against his chest, drawing invisible lines. "Adonis?" He hummed in response. "As Livana, how did I die?" I mumbled. Honestly, I was scared of the answer I could be given.

He only paused his hands' movements for a second or two before continuing. He seemed to be in thought about his answer. "There's a lake not too far from here. It used to have a beautiful waterfall. You loved walking across it, but one day the water pressure was too strong and you fell into the lake. You never learned how to swim. No one was there to save you," he whispered.

I frowned. I knew it wasn't just some dream. And I wasn't surprised about it either. Just... to think that I would have to relive every death I've ever had. I pulled myself up and held my body up with my hands pressed against the bed on either side of Adonis.

I stared into his stunning red eyes. "I'm here now," I said, pressing a delicate kiss against his lips. I felt him smile against me, which caused me to grin. I laughed as he turned me over so that I was on my back and he was above me. He started peppering my face with kisses and I couldn't resist giggling.

~{}~

I walked into town with no particular destination in mind. Adonis had suggested I go see places and meet some more people we now lived around. There were children playing, adults working. There were even some dead. Sometimes the dead didn't know they'd passed and just carried on how they usually would. Spirits held a different energy than the living so sometimes it was easy to know the difference.

I sighed as I continued to walk around. I didn't know where to start. It was a beautiful place, with paved roads and everything. I just didn't know where to go. None of it looked familiar at all. It could've been because of how much the place has changed or just because I didn't remember enough. Either way, I felt lost and a little pathetic.

Adonis said that I should go alone because that way I could get used to everything and not get distracted just spending time with him or one of the phantoms. Which, yes, that is what I'd be doing right now if they were here.

I saw a small bakery. There were children peeking inside through the window. I chuckled at them and walked inside. Looking around, it was easy for me to take notice how well done everything was. The scent also smelled magnificent.

"Oh! Hello!" A cheerful voice said. I turned towards it. It was a redheaded girl. She looked familiar. "Hm, say, did you go to a masquerade last night by any chance?" She hummed, leaning over the counter.

That's where I knew her. I met her and her friend Jade. Her name is Iris, I think. "I remember you. You're Iris, right?" I chuckled, smiling at her.

She grinned. "Yep, that's me. And if I remember correctly, your name is Bronwen," she joked. I nodded at her. "Hahaha! I got it right!" She did a little victory dance. I laughed at her. I've never seen someone get so excited over something so little. "Here, let me get you something sweet," she said excitedly.

I gaped at her as she turned around to find something. "Oh, I don't have anything to pay you with," I replied in shock.

She shook her head, turning back around with a small basket. "Think nothing of it. Take it as gratitude for last night. It was the highlight of my year, I'm sure." She giggled.

I gave a small smile as she began placing sweets in the basket. "Thank you," I mumbled gratefully. She held the basket out to me when she was done and I walked over to grab it. I gently took it from her hands.

She still had a blinding grin on her lips. "Of course! I hope to see you around sometime." She exclaimed happily.

I began walking out, but I stopped at the door to face her again. "As do I. Thank you again!" I chuckled, walking out. When the door closed I was about to start walking again, but I nearly ran into the trio of children stood outside the bakery. They were all staring at me now.

I frowned. They looked homeless. Poor things. I bent down and dug around in the basket. I pulled out a loaf of bread and broke it into three pieces. Then I held the pieces out to the kids. "Here you go. Take it," I said softly, smiling at them.

They all seemed hesitant, with the younger two hiding behind the biggest. They all looked starved too. I pushed my hand forward again, gesturing for them to grab the bread. To my surprise, the oldest snatched the bread from my hand. Then they all backed away to the other side of the bakery and shared the breads within each other. They ate eagerly.

I chuckled and stood up. "I hope you like it," I spoke gently, as to not scare them off. I felt bad about leaving them, but there wasn't anything I could do. So I went back home. Adonis couldn't say I didn't speak to anyone now. I laughed to myself.