Chapter 3

"It seems like you're alone again, Gabrielle." Cordelia spoke, sitting beside the noble lady on the far corner of the lively ballroom.

"It seems like you're also alone, Cordelia."

"Is your husband also occupied with matters to do?" She asked.

"He always is." Muttered Cordelia.

"Then we're the same."

The lovely sounds of waltz echoed throughout the golden marble walls of the ballroom, even on the gold lining on the walls. In the middle, gracefully danced many paired partners along with the music, amidst of a banquet.

"Who knew that being married would be this lonely?"

A short laugh left Cordelia's lips. "Tell me about it."

"I've only been married for six months, and yet my husband seems to not have a spare time for me these days already. He's always working and working."

Cordelia looked at Gabrielle with a gaze that lingered with the slightest glint envy.

"...I'd say the same for mine." Cordelia said reluctantly.

'At least Gabrielle and her husband get along.'

"Where is your husband? The Marquis Elvoye?"

"He went back first. He said there was an issue in the palace. And yours, the Count?"

"He's expanding his business in the north."

"I see."

"So I guess we're both husband-less this evening then."

Cordelia met her acquaintance's eyes, whose eyes were smiling at her own joke.

"Pfft... I guess so." She nodded, laughing.

Just as their conversations was getting lively, an attendant from Leon's castle approached Cordelia, halting just in front of the two who were in the midst of a fun conversation.

"Madam, the carriage has arrived."

"Ah... I guess it's time that I go home now, Countess Hildegard." said Cordelia, carefully rising from her seat before turning to Gabrielle with a smile.

"How sad it is... you're leaving me behind." The countess pouted.

"I know, time is too short! But we will surely meet again on the upcoming tea parties and salons. Do not be sad, countess." Cordelia smiled widely.

"Alright, alright. I am hoping you keep your promise. Have a safe journey, Marchioness Elvoye." Waved Gabrielle.

"Thank you, Countess Hildegard. You too. I enjoyed your company." Cordelia bid her pleasant goodbye before turning around to leave.

After taking a few steps, Cordelia parted her lips to ask the attendant. "Has the lord gone home yet?"

"Not yet, madam. He is still at work."

"I see."

Her eyes quietly bore on the marble floor. And soon arrived outside the castle where the large carriage was waiting.

"Madam, let me help you up."

"Thank you, Cedric." Cordelia held onto his offered hand as she climbed up the carriage.

Cedric followed and sat in front of her, who was already occupied looking outside the window, with her face resting on her palm.

Nothing but plain silence and the sound of horses was heard on the few minutes of the ride.