23. If you get interrupted again

Aquila and James were both going to be at the bonfire.

While I patted my own back for finally convincing Aquila to come to a human event, there was one thing I'd completely failed to consider. James thought Aquila was bothering me, and Aquila didn't like James for whatever reason Aquila didn't like people. Maybe it wasn't the smartest idea in the world to have a grouchy werewolf and a human who seemed to make him extra grouchy in the same general area. Oh, and with a huge open flame in the centre. Yup. Great.

I wasn't denying the possibility that Aquila not liking James had something to do with me. In human terms, I'd definitely say there was something going on between Aquila and I after we all but cuddled in the computer room. We probably should have that conversation, but it wasn't going to happen before the bonfire.

I let myself fall backwards onto my bed and dragged a hand across my face with a groan. It was almost time to leave for the bonfire. If both Aquila and James knew there was something between us and thought the other guy was bothering me, this could be a disaster.

Downstairs, the door opened and slammed shut. Startled, I opened my eyes.

"Xavier Davis!" Iris' voice rang out in the hallway.

I froze. Correction: there were two potential disasters. Another thing I'd failed to consider was that it was a terrible idea to leave Iris on read all day when she had access to your house.

While Iris ran up the stairs, I sat up on my bed. She burst into the room just as I got on my feet.

"What the hell, Xavier? You're just chilling in your room?" Iris called out dramatically. "When you didn't reply all day, I thought you were missing again or dead!"

I raised a brow at her. "No, you didn't."

Iris shrugged. "No, I didn't. Still. Ignoring me all day? Rude."

"Don't worry, karma already punished me for my insolence," I replied. "Guess who I finally convinced to come to the bonfire tonight?"

Iris thought about it for a moment. Then her eyes went round. "No!" she called out.

"Yup."

"You convinced Aquila to socialise? How?"

I shrugged. "Well, a bit of telling him off, and a bit of hugging him longer than is probably appropriate during our tutoring session."

"Okay, what?" Iris raised her brows and whistled. "Someone's been busy. Should I tell the school board you're cuddling up to a student during class? And you're going on romantic walks with James, too? Huh. So that's why you were ignoring my texts. You were too busy with all your lovers. Were you planning on having James and Aquila fight for you at the bonfire?"

"Please, God, no. I just really didn't think this through." I groaned. "You don't think they'll actually fight?"

Iris shrugged. "If they do, it certainly won't be a close fight. I think James weighs half of what Aquila does. But I suppose I shouldn't underestimate the quick guys either."

"Iris!"

"Fine, I don't think they'll actually fight," Iris said with a chuckle. "But I do think you're going to be stuck in the middle of them and have some very uncomfortable, stilted conversations."

I made a pained sound.

Iris threw up her hands. "I can't help you, friend. You made your bed, and now you have to decide with who you want to lie in it."