𝘌𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

-Natalie's POV-

I check my phone and there's five minutes left before detention ends, Diana hasn't talked to me almost the whole time. I'm not complaining, she's just....usually more talkative. She probably has a lot on her mind.

"Diana." I call out walking down the aisles looking for her, who decided to make a huge library in a school. Don't get me wrong, I love books but half of these books are the reason people don't read. They're terrible...

I walk down another aisle and Diana was reading a book, she looks very concentrated. I walk over behind her and peer over her shoulder.

"What the hell are you reading?" I ask and she slams the book shut and turns her head giving me the side eye.

"Nothing, I just got bored." She puts the book back into the shelf and struggles. I take the book out of her hand and put it back.

"Well, detention isn't supposed to be fun. Is it?" I cross my arms and nod towards the door and she walks a little behind me, I slow down and she does too. She's trying to stay behind me.

"Diana."

"What?" She sighs.

"Watch the attitude." I look back at her and she  frowns

"Sorry, I'm just tired."

"No you're not, tell me what's wrong. You've been acting weird all of detention, usually you're all smiles." I turn and look at her and she looks away. There's silence.

"Diana."

"I'm tired. How longs left?"

"I'll tell you once you tell me what's up."

"I don't have to tell you anything." She huffs. What's with the switch up? She goes to walk past me and I stop her by putting my hand on her shoulder and she immediately meets my eye.

"Im not being nosy, I'm concerned."

"You don't know me, you're just my teacher and I'm just tired." She plasters a small smile onto her face that is very obviously fake.

"I know you well enough to know that you act like everything's perfect when it's not. Im not stupid, I know a fake smile when I see one." I drop my hand and she looks away.

"It's just everything. Like what I told you at the bar, I just have a lot on my mind. I'll be fine." She starts walking again. I don't follow her, it's actually upsetting to see anyone like that. She seems drained, I know how that feels.

I shake my head, grow up Natalie. She's in high school, I don't think anybody is particularly happy in school. I don't have to care, as she said. I'm just her teacher.

✺ ✺ ✺

Later that night I sit at my desk in my office and I hear scratching at the office door. I stand up walking over to the door, opening it, my cat Maggy sat purring at me. I've had Maggy since I moved in with Olivia, my ex wife. Me and Olivia met at the start of high school and immediately fell head over heels for each other. We fought all the time since we were both as stubborn as each other, she purposed when we were nineteen. We thought we would be together forever, well we were married by twenty one and she slept with my brother the night of our wedding. I found out last year that they both had a relationship since our wedding, she tried to tell me that's it my fault but I'm not an idiot.

I kicked her out and we started the divorce, I haven't talked to my brother since I found out. He came to my house and I slapped him across the face and told him to go fuck himself...It was a chaotic night and lots of alcohol was involved. My parents told me I had to talk to my brother eventually and I told them I really don't have to nor do I want to. I don't need anyone, I don't want anyone. Well except for my few friends, who I know I can trust. That includes Tatum, Quinn and Cole.