T H R E E

"Leone!" I was abruptly awakened by my father's loud voice coming from downstairs

My eyes quickly snapped open as if I had just been doused by a bucket of ice cold water. I immediately jolted up from my bed to blench down at my damp clothes that were weighing heavily over my body.

What the-what happened last night?

And why can't I barely remember anything!?

My memory was broken into small tiny fragments that were all too hard to piece together. I remember running off into the forest, being at the edge of a cliff, my intentions as to why I even got there in the first place, as well as the most confusing part which was seeing the boy next door!

I didn't hesitate to look around my room for just a moment, squinting at my bedside table to see the pill bottle in complete disarray. Tiny tablets were displaced everywhere, some even lying on my paneled floor.

Could I have just run off into the forest and returned shortly after it began to rain, deciding that maybe I was just too exhausted to change and settled for a sleep that was interrupted shortly after by a deep hallucinogenic nightmare?

"Leone!" My father roared out yet again. "If you don't get your ass down here, I'll come up there and snatch you out of bed myself!"

I silently cursed to myself as I hastily ran over to my dresser to find some clean clothes to change into. I didn't grow up with much, so I've had to settle for my parents' hand-me-downs for most of my life.

I decided on wearing a grey long-sleeve t-shirt that used to belong to my mother. The garment lifted right above my belly button and was fitted just enough for my short and tiny frame. I paired it with thick, oversized cargo pants that my father used to wear for his job as a contractor, offering me a large variety of pockets to store things in.

After getting dressed, I ran my fingers through my thick golden curls and quickly threw my backpack over my shoulder before rushing downstairs.

My blood froze at the sight of my father already sitting down at the dining table with tightened fists. "Who do you think you are making me wait for my food!?"

"I'm sorry! I'm-I'm making it now." My voice couldn't help but crack and stutter as I quickly rushed into the kitchen to prepare his food.

"You're sorry? Apologies don't make up wasted time, breakfast should've already been made a couple hours ago!" He exclaims before disappearing off into a series of harsh words and hurtful lecture.

I stayed silent as I used my cooking as a distraction. I was starting to get hungry myself so I settled on making eggs and toast.

My father furrowed his brows down the second I returned to the table with breakfast. "What's this all about?" He asks as I anxiously sat right next to him with my own plate.