S I X T E E N

"Good morning everyone

"Good morning everyone." I cheerfully announced my presence as I got in the kitchen.

"Good morning, hun." My mom greets back as she prepared some breakfast.

"Breakfast looks amazing." I complimented as I opened the fridge to grab myself a pouch of blood.

"Aw, thank you." My mom's tone matched her facial expression which was a mixture of pure shock and growing delight. "You've never mentioned my cooking before." She added with an appreciative head tilt.

"Morning son." My dad greeted me shortly after, momentarily dropping his newspaper down to adjust the frame of his glasses.

"You're looking sharp. New tie?" I smirked and threw him a nod as I placed the crimson pouch into the microwave.

"Why yes, your mother got it for me. Thanks." He bashfully simpered to himself as he adjusted the fabric on his collar.

I seemed to have evinced enough of an unusual aura of optimism as I caught my parents trade looks at one another. The looks shortly escalated to blunt suspicion once my sister appeared by the wide kitchen doorway. "Why does everyone look so happy?" All eyes suddenly turned to look at a yawning Ikaris who was drowsily styling her hair in braids.

I grabbed the warm pouch and threw her a nod. "Good morning."

"You're repulsive, don't speak to me." I ignored her immediate wince and reluctance in reciprocating my warmth.

Normal familial connection between us has never really been established by using affection or any means to bond as siblings. We weren't like other normal siblings where being mean meant jokes that were delivered with an undertone of love and care. Ikaris and I were brutal, ruthlessly callous in a way that I'm sure it's gotten to the point that it would be way too weird and awkward to ever try and bond in a better and less toxic way.

Hating each other was our sibling connection and just because we were of the same blood, doesn't entirely change the fact that we were out for each other's.

It's been this way for so long that I can't entirely blame her for being completely weirded out for how I was acting. In less than an hour, I did everything I hadn't done in years. I said good morning with utmost sincerity, acknowledged my parents, and did not convey a single trace of my undeniable resentment for any of them.

I ripped the pouch open with an unwavering smile as we all sat around the table to have breakfast. I started drinking the blood as if it was a juice box, amused at my sister growing increasingly confused the more she observed everyone's uplifted mood.

"Would someone seriously care to inform me as to why for once, we're reminiscent of an incredibly nuclear family? It's kinda disturbing." She finished her braids and tentatively looked around for an answer. "What's gotten everyone so happy?"

My mom smiled. "You should ask your brother that."

"And why would I do that?" She served herself some waffles.