T W E N T Y T W O

I spent the whole night looking up at Leone's roof, desperately attempting to calm down the excruciating craving that burned through my veins

I spent the whole night looking up at Leone's roof, desperately attempting to calm down the excruciating craving that burned through my veins. Every inch of my body trembled in desperate anticipation for a fix, for the only solace that could wash away my unbridled thirst for blood was the beautiful boy sleeping soundly right against my chest. It had been hours since I had my last blood pouch, and nothing compared to the agonizing sensation of my aegis subsiding and the urge to feed taking hold.

My jaw widened up into the air as my fangs began to uncontrollably unsheathe in response to his sweet and intoxicating scent. I wanted nothing more than to give into my cravings and lose myself to it, feeling it slowly eroding away at my sanity. My body begged for the release of my thirst and I knew that if I gave in, I would regret my choice forever. I knew that if I stayed strong, I could fight against the ever-growing hunger and make sure that Leone was safe and that he was okay.

The pain grew too unbearable to bare as I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, all the while Leone began to shuffle and drowsily turn, waking up to my uncontrollable shivering and pained hisses.

"Dydan?" He sniffed, looking up at me with his large half-shut eyes that glimmered with a bed-ridden sheen. He looked semi-conscious as he began to shake, only making him further melt up against me since he was way too thin and fragile to maintain any reasonable body temperature.

I struggled to meet his innocent gaze as I felt a shiver run down my spine. My heart raced as I struggled to keep my mouth shut, afraid that he would see my teeth and realize the monster that I truly am. It wasn't the first time I had felt this way. For as long as I could remember, I've had to battle with the truth of who I was and what I was capable of. It was a constant battle to keep it hidden, to keep it from taking over, especially in moments like this. It was as if I was a ticking time bomb, waiting for the effects of the slightest provocation to eventually set me off.

What if I lose all control and I hurt him?

What if he ends up only being afraid of me once he sees the truth of what I am?

What if he chooses to push me away and discard me forever?

These thoughts raced through my mind as I fought to keep my composure with struggled breaths and suppressed pained sounds. The turmoil I felt with my body coalesced with everything I was feeling with my mind as I knew the truth. I was a monster, and no amount of hiding or battle for control could ever change that.

As I lay there, shivering uncontrollably, he got up off of me with a look of concern etched on his cherub face. He gazed intently at my pale and clammy skin, trying to decipher the cause of my unnerving state.

"What's wrong?" Leone shakily asked, his eyes darting all over me. "Did I get you sick?"

"N-No I-" I was barely able to respond as I was undoubtedly  taken aback by the amount of pain I was experiencing.