Chapter 17

AGE: 16 year old

The storm might have settled for now but it wouldn't be for long because dadi jaan announced that Wali and Insia's Nikkah would take place on Friday which was coming in two days.

Wali had not returned home for god knows how long and Taya abu was getting increasingly worried.

On the other hand, Wali's entire mind was in a turmoil.

He could never deny that he liked Insia. If he was to choose anyone as his life partner, nobody could do it better than Insia but he was only 19.

He still couldnt get over the fact that its only been 5 months since his older brother died.
Something that would have never happened if Insia hadn't run away.

He knew that if he talked to Insia, he would end up speakimg his mind and the thoughts going through his head were ugly and ruthless. Wali sat on the rooftop of the tallest building in Islamabad.
He sighed loudly as he had no other choice or idea to escape this.

Friday arrived as both Wali and Insias dreaded.

Zainab and Ameena helped her get ready while there was no sign of Maheen or Hania.

Insia felt her eyes welling up as she sat infront of the mirror wearing a white shalwar kameez.

Her entire life was once again flipped like an omlette on a pan.

Thepapers were brought to her and eventhough the entire Nikkah happened in a span of 20 minutes, the aftermath was anything but short.

Qabul hai.
Qabul hai.
Qabul hai.

And just like that she became Insia Mir Wali.

The shouts emanated from the room nextdoor which told her that she wasn't rhe only one unhappy with this match.

Wali screamed at his father, " Mne kar dia jo ap ne kaha. Ab ap ko bhi vohi karna hoga jo mein keh rha hu."

"Wali, hosh ke naakhun lo. Uss bachi ko tumhari zaroorat hai." her taya shouted back.

" Mujhe uss ki zaroorat nhe hai." he said back, each word biting Insia like a venomous snake.

Insia lowered her head as she felt even her existance to be too burdensome.

Days had passed and Insia had not seen Wali. Mostly because she didn't step out of her room or because Wali mostly stayed out. Sometimes, she would hear the sharp bang of his door when he would come at midnight when she would sit down for Tahajjud.

Soon, she found out that Wali was going to America for his studies.

As devastating the news was, she felt a slight relief to be out of Wali's scrutiny.

Days passed and as Wali remained unknown from the house, Insia started stepping out more.

She would offer Fajr and then go downstairs.

Just as everyday for the past three days, she strutted down trying not to wake anyone up.

She opened the fridge door and pulled the bottle of water out.

As she was drinking water, someone at her back said," Mujhe paani dena."
Insia knew that voice too well to not recognise it but her body stiffened amd she refused to turn.

Insia was wearing prayer shawl on her head so Wali probably thought it was someone else but as Insia quiet was greeted with an equal one, she turned slowly to see him standing there ready to pull the fridge door open.
...............................

She's lost weight. Wali thought as her once appearing dimples were long gone.

Insia kept standing there as Wali slammed the fridge door, startling her and walking away.