Chapter 5: Baby Shark in the Parking Lot

Rowena turned her head and winced

Rowena turned her head and winced. She couldn't recall anything after Winona Howler insulted her about her parents. She stretched her bare legs against an unfamiliar comforter and groaned. High-pitched voices singing about visiting a wizard combined with the chirping of birds outside made Rowena wonder if someone had drugged her.

"Are you awake?" Cross asked from beside her. His back was against a heavy bed frame made of sandalwood. A black sports shirt stretched across his broad chest and Rowena couldn't help but notice she was wearing a similar shirt.

Rowena frowned, licking her dry lips. She grimaced at the scent of her own breath. "Was I drugged?"

His face puckered in confusion. "Do you know what it feels like to be drugged?"

She gave a single nod. "Once. Three years ago. It was a learning experience. One, never attend parties thrown by people who live in a compound surrounded by electrical fencing. Two, if you do attend a party on a compound surrounded by electrical fencing and everyone is dressed like a hippie, don't just assume it's a costume party. Three, if everyone offers you a drink, swearing it will change your life and bring you full enlightenment—it's probably just drugged green tea."

Cross blinked before his mouth fell slightly open. "This really happened to you?"

"Yes. I should've known better. My cousin Carmen was the one who told me about the party. That evil heifer."

"How did you escape?"

"Let's just say I should probably name my first-born child after my boss's cousin Hector. He's an ex-marine turned vigilante. Luckily, Rolando hates it when people call in sick to work. When I didn't answer any of his calls, Rolando sent Hector to find me. Hector saved me from being brainwashed by a bunch of hippies, and he had the whole place shut down. The compound is now a cat shelter."

Cross blinked rapidly, unsure of how to respond.

"I tried to get back at Carmen," Rowena continued. "I sent an inflatable male sex doll to her married boss in Carmen's name. I was so sure he'd fire her."

"She wasn't fired?" Cross asked, disbelief in his voice.

"No," Rowena pouted. "That heifer got a promotion!"

Cross sighed and shook his head. "You're unpredictable, Rowena. It's a blessing and a curse. I love you for keeping me on my toes, but last night—my mother almost killed you. I jumped in the second I realized what you were doing, but those precious seconds were enough for my mother to do some damage."

Rowena covered her face with her hands. "Your mother beat me in a fight? In front of everyone? There goes my street cred. Now, everyone is going to believe I'm a weak human instead of a sexy hex witch." She closed her eyes in embarrassment.

"I'll always think you're a sexy hex witch."

"You don't count."

Cross made a chuffing sound. "I'm your soulmate and your boyfriend. I'm the only one who should count."