Chapter 22: Time of My Life

Rowena plucked at the hem of her pink dress as another ambulance drove away from the parking lot of the auditorium

Rowena plucked at the hem of her pink dress as another ambulance drove away from the parking lot of the auditorium. Jeremiah stood next to her, apologizing.

"I'm sorry, Rowena. I don't know what came over me. I didn't mean to poison anyone. Well, maybe just Angelina." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Pageants make me crazy."

Rowena shrugged. "I understand what happens when a person loses their mind. It's why I take anger management classes. Luckily, no one accused you of poisoning the contestants except Sylvia. I'm not sure why she didn't turn you in to the coppers."

Jeremiah nodded. "I think it was because Angelina didn't get sick. For some reason, she really wants her to win. It's unfair!"

"I just really wanted to participate in the talent section. You worked so hard to teach me to dance, Jeremiah."

He hugged her from the side. "I'm sorry."

"Rowena!" Abby came running toward them, waving her arms. "I tried calling you, but you didn't pick up. I was worried you were one of the poisoned contestants. I forced Cross to stay in the auditorium with Selig."

"Yes, I'm fine." Rowena grimaced. "Sorry, I didn't pick up. I must've left my phone backstage. I'll need to go back there and get it before I leave."

"Leave? The pageant isn't over." Abby looked from Rowena to Jeremiah in confusion. "You look okay but are you feeling sick again?"

Rowena jerked her thumb at Sylvia. "Our assistant manager disqualified me."

To their left, Rolando was tugging at his hair, staring at the ambulance. Next to him, Sylvia held her arms across her chest, shaking her head.

"Why?" Abby looked on as the last contestant was being hauled into another ambulance. "Please tell me it doesn't have anything to do with the contestants who got sick? Raven and Bubbles announced the pageant was on an intermission before the talent portion starts."

"I bet your manager is worried about the film crews," Jeremiah said. "Even if it's a small broadcast, they can't have dead air."

Abby nodded. "That explains why Raven is onstage telling knock-knock jokes. It's a disaster. The woman laughs like a hyena and has no sense of humor."

"Let's grab my phone and leave," Rowena suggested. "I don't want to watch Angelina win the crown."

Jeremiah cursed under his breath. He turned to Rowena and placed his hands on her shoulders. "Don't worry. I'll make sure she doesn't win."

"Jeremiah, don't you dare poison her too," Rowena hissed. "She's crazy. I can't promise she won't retaliate."

"Don't worry. This time, I won't get caught."

He winked before she could stop him.

"You're not going to run after him?" Abby asked.

Rowena pointed to her shoes. "Not in these heels. Besides, Angelina is a shifter. I doubt Jeremiah will be able to trick her. Why were you trying to call me?"