Chapter 8: Little Mikey's Secret

To Rowena, pawn shops always reminded her of old pennies, forgotten memories, and dust bunnies

To Rowena, pawn shops always reminded her of old pennies, forgotten memories, and dust bunnies. She stood in the row of instruments for sale, wondering how many of them once belonged to a high school student forced to be in the marching band.

"Do you think I should buy this trumpet?" she asked Cross, who was standing behind her with his arms crossed at his chest. Liam and Matt were beside him looking at a keyboard missing a few keys. Abby was two feet away, inspecting a witch's hat with a crochet cat sewed to the brim.

When he didn't respond right away, Rowena continued," For the Sweeter Home beauty pageant. There's going to be a talent portion. Maybe I can play the trumpet." She was holding the instrument in front of her with a smile.

"You know how to play the trumpet?" Cross asked with a mix of surprise and admiration.

Her brown eyes looked up at him. "No."

They stared at one another for a moment before Liam cleared his throat and leaned forward. "The beauty pageant starts in a few days. Maybe you should try something different for the talent portion. I overheard one worker say she was going to wear a bikini and wrestle a goat in a plastic pool of mud. Maybe you can do something like that?"

A growl from Cross had the beta take a step back.

Rowena's mouth perked up. "You're talking about Gladys."

Liam shrugged. "I don't know, but I bet it's sexy and earns her some extra points with the male judges." He winked at Rowena, earning a second growl from Cross.

Rowena placed the trumpet back in its case. "Doubtful. Gladys is seventy-eight and so thin some guys mistook her for a Halloween skeleton last October when she fell asleep in the breakroom."

"What?" Abby asked, laughing as she stepped forward with the witch's hat still in her hands. "Tell me you're making that up."

Rowena shook her head. "Nope. True story. Warner almost choked on Kenny's Ding Dong when Gladys woke up and opened her eyes." She raised an eyebrow at her friends. "Talk about awkward. She thought he was dying and tried giving him mouth-to-mouth instead of the Heimlich."

"Kenny's Ding Dong?" Matt repeated, his cheeks turning bright pink. "Who's Kenny?"

"He was a janitor. He quit after that."

"And Warner was eating his Ding Dong?" Matt asked.

"Yeah. Warner said he couldn't resist. He wanted that white crème all over his mouth."

The head enforcer frowned.

"Matt doesn't eat junk food," Cross explained, rolling his eyes. "He probably has no idea a Ding Dong is a chocolate cupcake with crème inside."

"Who hasn't eaten a Ding Dong before?" Rowena mumbled. She shrugged. "Kenny called us a bunch of snack-stealing savages. Maybe I should stuff a bunch of Ding Dongs in my mouth for the talent portion?"