~Chapter 24~|Nothing like family|

Irene's POV:

I was sitting on the seat next to the big,white wall of the hospital with Sebastian leaning on my shoulder. I couldn't even tell if he had stopped crying or not.He was silent,tears still rolling down his right cheek,as if the world just shattered to pieces.I knew his pain,the pain of losing someone you love,someone you have known your entire life.

The hallway was silent,you could hear nothing but the silent crying and the clock hanging on the wall.Sometimes some nurses would pass by,either to get some supplies,or to just turn in another corner.My mind was full of questions,
but at the same time I was so confused.Why... just why did Max die?Nobody's telling me a thing,and this is definitely not the right timing to.But I'll have to ask soon.

I felt Sebastian move a little,I looked at him as he got up.
"Sebestian?" I called his name,and everyone's attention turned to me and Sebastian.
"Let's go"is all he said and he started walking.
"Guys get yourself together"Sebastian whispered to the other guys.He waited for a reply,but didn't get any.Alex was looking down at the clean floor,now washed by some tears,and Lorenzo was looking to his left,not even paying attention to Sebastian,and he was looking really mad.

Sebastian curled his fists hard,making his vains appear.He was just standing there,time to time opening and closing his mouth,finding the right words to say,but couldn't.
"Io Aspetterò nella mia macchina."he said something in Italian,which I couldn't understand what he said,and walked away.

Then there was a moment of silence.No one moved,no one made a noise.Until the nurse came,and stopped by me.
"Hello,I'm sorry to disturb,but you need to sign some papers,so we know you're aware of..."she started and stopped at the part where she was going to say "death", she knew it was going to hurt us if she said it.
"I'll do it"Alex said all of a sudden.
I tuned to look at him,and he had got up,his eyes still a bit red from crying.
"Okay,follow me"the nurse said,and Alex started following her.
"Alex,wait are you sure you can do this?" I asked him with a worrier expression.
"Yea,it's okay I got this,besides,Max was my brother,it's only fair if I sign."he said and smiled a bit at the end.
"Lorenzo,take care of Irene,or Sebastian's gonna kill us"Alex said turning to Lorenzo.
"Got it"Lorenzo said lifting his palm up.

Then Alex left with the nurse,while I was left with Lorenzo and the guards keeping watch.
"Lorenzo?" I asked him.I know I shouldn't but I was planning on asking him about Max.
"Yes?" he replied, putting his hands in his face.
"Why did this happen?"
Suddenly he looked at me like I just shot someone.

"You-you don't know why?"
"No,why did Max..." I asked not saying the last word.Then he got up,looking furious.
"YOU DON'T KNOW WHY MAX DIED,AND STILL FUCKING CRIED LIKE YOU CARED?!" he yelled at me.I took a step back from the sudden jumpscare.
"N-no,of course I care!" I replied back.
"OH REALLY? REALLY? HE USED TO ASK ABOUT YOU EVERY SINGLE FUCKING DAY, DO YOU KNOW THAT?!" he started yelling,his face getting red.
"HE FUCKING LOVED YOU AS HIS SISTER, THAT HE NEVER HAD!"
I stayed silent.I never knew about any of this.
"Sir,sir please, dont yell in a hospital"Tony interfered.
"Oh this is anything but a hospital.Now fuck off before I kill you"he said to Tony. I felt so bad for Lorenzo.They were best friends,but what's my fault here?

I kept waiting for the right moment to ask someone about it,but I just couldn't.
"What are you gonna say now huh!"Lorenzo yelled at me.Ive never seen him act like this.
"Lorenzo... I... I didn't know!"I yelled back at him.
"Oh, of course you didn't,bitch!"
"HEY,HEY!" I heard a voice yell.It was John,with Alex behind him.
I just stood there shaking to the bone.Did I... Did I cause this to happen? Am I the reason everything's a mess right now?

Without thinking straight,I just ran out of there.
"Irene, wait!" Alex yelled,but I didn't listen and ran out of the hospital.

The sky was slowly closing its gates,letting the grey clouds show,ready to let the rain drop.
I found a small park nearby and sat on a bench.
I just couldn't think straight.A lot is going on right now.Max's death,Sebastian,someone claiming to be my dad... Oh wait,right.Rather if he's my father or not,it doesn't matter to me anymore,if he was alive then why did he leave?

"Irene?" I heard my name being called. It was John,and I saw Alex in the side of the street.
"Yea?" I asked,wiping my tears away that I didn't even notice they were falling.
"You okay?" he asked,holding his open umbrella with one hand,and turning me to face him with the other.
"I don't even know what I am anymore"I said with a sad chuckle.

"Hey hey, don't say that"
"Anyways,how's Lorenzo? You know,he was yelling at me before."
"Let's say he's under control"John replied.
"Why did he yell at you?" Alex said,coming towards me.
"Oh,uhh...It doesn't matter"
"Irene,yes.it.does"Alex said separating the words,one by one.
"I just asked him about Max,that's it"I said looking down.
"About what?You know he gets mad easily"Alex said looking at me.
"Well,I asked him... how Max got to this point.Nobody was telling me a thing! I tried to find the right moment,or to wait,but in that situation I just couldn't! Everyone was crying and... and!"
"Irene relax!" John said and hugged me tight,letting go of his umbrella,and sitting beside me.

"Irene,it's not your fault,you didn't know.You're right,no one told you."Alex started,and I listened to him very carefully,with John still hugging me tight.
"Max and Sebastian came in Pacce's house,to save you. Sadly,Max...got shot.And didn't make it"Alex said choking on his words.
Then there was a moment of silence.I was shocked.Max died... trying to save me?

Tears started pouring down my cheeks.
I couldn't believe Max did that,just to get me to safety.I buried my head in John's shoulder,and started silently to cry.

                                      ***

"What about Sebastian?" I asked,wiping my tears away.
"Sebastian went home.I told him to.He wasn't feeling so well."
"Oh...Okay"I slightly nodd.
"What about now"
"Irene?" John asked me and turned towards me.
Oh.... right.
________________________________
               End of chapter twenty four

Words: 1158