The only one who saw beyond birth

Karna's pov

As the arena fell silent as one entity, Karna glanced around.

It was Crown Prince Duryodhan who had spoken. For a moment, Karna wondered if he was getting at some twisted line of mockery. The word 'King' had certainly made it seem so.

But then, Duryodhan turned to Karna.

And he smiled.

Karna blinked.

The Crown Prince's smile was not mocking. It was reassuring. It was supportive.

Karna felt his throat tighten out of nowhere and he was instantly ashamed. Nothing justified out-of-control emotions, but reeling from the public humiliation, almost dizzied with anger and helplessness, that one smile of Duryodhan appeared brighter to him than the sun.

It brought with it solace and comfort, but most importantly, hope.

***************

"What do you mean, Duryodhan?" asked Bhisma.

"I think Karna deserves to have a shot at dueling Arjun if he thinks can defeat him," said Duryodhan. "And even Gurudev--" He turned to Dronacharya with a sarcastic smile. "--if you intend to prove Arjun is the best in the world, you must let Karna fight him. Otherwise, let your claim be empty words, and Hastinapur will know." He bowed at the crowd.

Karna could hardly believe his eyes or ears.

Was Duryodhan truly fighting for him? Fighting his family, his Gurudev for him?

Why would he do that? How could he do that?

"At the same time, according to our learned elders--" Again, there was the subtle sarcasm. "--the son of a charioteer cannot fight a Ksatriya, even if he is as, or more competent."

Duryodhan strode into the dueling area, right up to Karna, who could only gaze at him, transfixed.

"And I have a solution to this dilemma. The son of a charioteer cannot fight Arjun. But if he were to be awarded a kingdom, if we were a King, his status as King would supersede his status of birth. Is that not so, Pitamah?"

Bhisma looked baffled. "Certainly, but--"

Duryodhan looked up at the King Dhritarashtra.

"So Father, I request you to make Karna the King of Anga."

***************

There was not a word to be heard.

Karna pinched his arm discretely to make sure he was not asleep. Duryodhan appeared to catch the act and grinned, the way a comrade would grin.

"You promised you would make me the King of Anga after I graduated, Father," he said. "I am allowed to make my friend Karna the King in my stead, am I not?"

My friend.

My friend Karna.

That word--that phrase--it reverberated inside Karna's head so loudly and so many times that he missed the next part of Duryodhan's negotiation, and defence against his father, grandfather and Minister Vidur.

No one had ever called him a friend before.

And it was not like he had ever called anyone a friend, either.

Who would want to befriend him?

Among the charioteer community, everyone looked at him like he had a contagious disease because he spent all his time practising archery in the courtyard. Among the Ksatriyas, he had perpetually been mocked, laughed at and demeaned for he had dared to lift a bow.