The prince of Dwaraka and the Princess of Panchal

Arjun's pov

In the Kuru family dinner on New Year's Eve, the guest entertainers were singing praises of the dynasty. The elders listened in silence; the Pandavas and Kauravas threw dirty looks at each other; everything was normal.

Then one of them moved on to praising their soon to be Crown Prince Yudhishthir, and of course Duryodhan felt the need to interrupt the peace, though it was normal, too.

"Not all things about us is perfect," he said. "Our royal teacher, for example, often fails at one of the basic requirements of a teacher--impartiality."

Now, Dronacharya was not present; Duryodhan would not have dared to say this if he had, the coward, thought Arjun angrily. But he could not bear any insult thrown at his guru, and ignoring Yudhishthir's murmured, "Ignore it," he answered back in his rudest tone.

"Don't you think it is hypocrisy to learn your knowledge from someone and then go around trash-talking him, Bhrata Duryodhan?"

"Yes, we expected you to jump to his defense," Dussashan assured.

"True hypocrisy would be if you did not grovel at gurudev's feet after how much he has favoured you," said Duryodhan.

"Has it ever occurred to you that gurudev favours Bhrata Arjun for a reason?" snarled Sahadev.

"Because he is a high born who can wield the bow?" Karna asked. "What a great achievement on his part."

The Kauravas roared their approval. Arjun couldn't help feeling a stab of disappointment, though he could not truly expect Karna to pass on an opportunity like that.

"No, Karna," said Duryodhan, laughing. "His real achievement is convincing gurudev to cut off the thumbs of his competitors. He created his own playground."

So far, the elders had been pretending to turn a deaf ear to their cracks, but at the last statement, Kunti looked around sharply. It dawned on Arjun that he had never told Ekalavya's story to her, and that he probably should have.

But during that time, they had been at the gurukul, and all of his overflowing horror and sorrow at the incident, he had cried out in his jyesht's arms. By the time they had returned to their mother, years had passed, and he had never thought to mention it to her.

"What is he saying?" Kunti asked.

"Nothing but lies, Maa," said Bheem loudly. "Have you ever heard him or his brothers say anything but lies?"

Duryodhan smirked. "Aunt--you do not know what happened?"

"Duryodhan," said Yudhishthir quietly. "You cannot pin a sin on Arjun he did not commit and you have no right to defame our gurudev in public. Stay within your limits."

"I am not defaming anyone, I am simply narrating a story for my Aunt's benefit." Duryodhan narrated his version of the story--which of course, included Arjun demanding Ekalavya's thumb to be cut off--in a distinct voice, and had now commanded the attention of everyone. Then he looked from Arjun to Yudhishthir. "If Arjun indeed did not commit the sin, jyesht, why has he kept it from his mother, anyway?"

Arjun was so furious he was shaking. 

Yudhishthir set his jaw.

"That is not what happened, Maa," he said. "Bheem, Arjun, Nakul, Sahadev--come on, we are not bound to stay here. If we have your leave, Pitamah, we are going on a journey to begin the New Year on a good note."

Bhisma was only too glad to grant them leave.

"What journey?" asked Bheem, flexing his fingers as he studied Duryodhan. "We are going on a journey?"