𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐊𝐀𝐌𝐑𝐘𝐍

The school bell rings which means the day is over! Finally! The school day that is. I now have to train for seven hours with my sister. This is going to be great. That's what she says at least.

I grab my things from my locker and head over to Kayla's. We gotta get going. The more practice she gets in the better.

"Let me make sure I have this right." Pia starts. What are they gossiping about now? "You and Will Cloud are forming your own team to compete at Fire and Ice?" And me.

Kayla nods. "Me, Will, and these two." She calls over Sam and Dink, completely ignoring my presence.

"Well, hello, ladies. Ahem." Sam looks Linds up and down.

Dink winks. Hey that rhymes. "Low pressure system movin' in this afternoon." He eases closer to Pia.

"What are you, a weather man?" She asks, clearly unimpressed.

"I dabble." He shrugs. "But if you're interested, I could show you some of the finer points of snow formation."

She smacks her lips. "No, thanks."

Dink's smirk drops. "Just think about it."

"I know. I know. You did your thing." Sam pats their shoulder and walks away.

I grab Sam's shoulder. "Did you hear any of that?" I hiss.

He and Dink give me a confused look. "What are you talking about?"

"Kayla just tried to act like I wasn't also competing!" I motion behind me.

"Oh you actually are?" Sam asks.

"What is that supposed to mean?!" I retort.

"Well you've been very stand-offish towards snowboarding ever since Will's accident." Dink suggests.

"Psh. No I haven't." I cross my arms. They both quirk a brow at me. "Okay maybe a little bit." I admit.

Sam punches my arm. "You've got this Kam. Don't sweat it."

"See ya on the slopes." They wave before heading off.

I turn around and head back over to the girls. Who are now standing in a triangle like they're the holy trinity.

"There is no emoticon to express the tragedy of her fashion choices." What the heck are they talking about? "I pity her." I follow their eyes to see my toughest competition.

Skye Sailor.

***

"Good form." When we made it to the half pipe, Skye Sailor was already there showing her stuff. She's good. You have no idea how much it pains me to admit that. "Good amplitude." She goes into the air one last time. "Crisp holds." Will is killing me here. The crowd behind us starts cheering as she finishes. "She's good."

"Yeah, I know." Kayla sighs.

"Why don't we go say hi." I blurt out. The group looks at me like I'm a psychopath. "What? Might as well sniff out the competition." I head towards her with Kayla at my side.

"Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome." She blows kisses. "As exhausting as it is being a celebrity, fans like you make it all worthwhile." She tosses her helmet off to the side before turning to look at us. She smiles at us, she's faking it though. "Hi. I'm Skye." She holds a hand out to us.

"So I've heard." I push Kayla's hand down as she goes to shake it.

"Oh. Would one of you like an autograph?" She asks. Is she serious?

"No. I'm fine, thanks." Kayla replies curtly.

"Come on, don't be silly." She waves. "Anything for my fans." She pops off her pen cap. "Who should I make it out to?"

"Kayla. As in Kayla Morgan." Skye's face changes. "Maybe you've heard of me." Kayla tilts her head.

"Of course I have." She grabs a piece of paper. "To Kayla. "Everybody's favorite Daddy's girl." She looks to me. "Oh! And Kamryn! The has been."

"Oh my first fan! How sweet." I hold a hand to my chest. "Too bad I don't have a pen." I pucker my bottom lip out.

"Actually, why don't you make it out to "Kayla, future winner of Fire and Ice?" Kayla smirks.

Skye rolls her eyes."And how are you gonna do that now that the competition isn't rigged?"

"I don't know. How are you gonna deal with those split ends that I could see from all the way across the mountain?" Oof got her there.

"It's a good thing Nick's dad replaced you with me. Now Team Swift has a chance of winning." She smirks.

"We'll see about that." I smile before walking away. "Split ends?" I hiss at Kayla when we're far away.

"She started it." She scoffs.

"So how was sniffing out the competition?" Will asks, amusement laced in his tone.

"I don't want to talk about it." I cross my arms.

He grabs my shoulder and pulls me into his side. "You want to show Skye Sailor what you're made of? Stop trading insults back and forth and beat her at her own game." He turns me towards the halfpipe. "Over there."

Though I had tons of anxiety coursing through my veins right now. I know I can do this. I have to do this.

"You're right." I sigh.

He squeezes my shoulder. "That's my girl." My cheeks burn as my mind takes me back to Will and I competing together. He'd always say that when I was done with my run. I know this is going to be different without his but he's right.

I've got this.

***********************************
Sorry for the shorter chapters but I've finally got this story planned out some I should be posting at least once a week!!