7. UNINVITED

It has been three days since I last talked to Sean about my Dad and his Dad. He and Lucas had been staying out of the house for the most time and I have been spending most of the time cooking with Jason, talking to Jenny or reading books.

But it was different today. When I woke up, I was welcomed with some noises from the ground floor. I walked downstairs and found people everywhere, mostly men, decorating every corner of the house. There were new maroon curtains, dark floral decoration and some men working on the lighting.

"What is going on?" I walked towards Lucas who was giving directions to who I assume was the head of the interior designers.

"There is a business party here tonight." He replied.

"Oh." I said and stared at the decorations in awe. The black and maroon decor had turned the lounge into a dark fairy tale. I wish I had a house that big to throw a whole business party there.

"But I don't have any clothes." I said, remembering.

"Oh, poor you." He said mockingly. "Good thing you aren't invited."

"What do you mean I'm not invited? I live here." I asked.

"It means you'll keep yourself in your room from 8-12 pm tonight." He said with a smirk.

"That's not fair. I'm not a servant." I said.

"That you aren't. The servants will be in the party actually." He shrugged and my face flushed red at this.

"Fine. It's not like I'm dying to be at your party." I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen instead where Jason was busy making omelet.

"What happened? Why do you look so sulky?" He asked.

"I'm not invited to the grand party of the Millers. As if that's the most fun party in the town." I rolled my eyes.

"Actually, it is fun most of the time. Gives you a sneak peak into rich people's life." He said.

"Ugh, don't make me jealous." I said and poured some cereal in my bowl. "Will you be there?"

"Yeah, I just need to find a mask." He said.

"Mask?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's a masquerade party." He said, fully engrossed in perfecting the omelet.

"Is it?" I raised my eyebrows as the wheels of my brain started to churn.

"Yep." He shrugged.

"Great." I finished my cereal and made my way back to the room as I had only few hours to arrange a dress, shoes and a mask.

•••••

"These are some bomb gowns. Where did you get them?" I asked Jenny as she showed me all three of her dresses.

"Mr. Miller gives us an allowance for clothing on Christmas every year." She said. "Which one do you want?"

"I don't feel good taking your dress. You've bought these with your bonus." I said.

"No silly. I'd love sharing with you." She said. "Just don't tell Mr. Miller where you got this dress from."

"Of course I won't. You have my words." I said and observed all the dresses.

There was a red dress with sweetheart neckline that Jenny was planning to wear. Other than that, there were two mermaid gowns, one was lacy black and the other was shimmery blue.

"The black one." I said and tried it on. The dress was a little tight on my chest region but it looked gorgeous nonetheless. It was at least better than going there in ragged jeans.